False hits (false results) with "OR" search in Research Tab

TYA

Great day all,

Why is the Research Tab not finding a simple (exact) "OR" search properly?  I'm getting countless false hits / false results trying to search for either "her purification" or "her cleansing."  I've tried and documented this two different ways.  I can perform each search independently, and it is successful, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Please see attached screenshots.

Thanks!

*Note: I'm using 13.3.0.  And after posting above I tried rebuilding the Research cache under the Preferences, and then restarted the program afresh.  Didn't help at all.

Captured 1283.jpg

Captured 1280.jpg

Edited by TYA

Try this and see if this is what you want:

her <WITHIN 1 Words> (purification, cleansing)

Thanks John.  Interestingly, your search produced no "false" hits, such as the word "her" all by itself, without "purification" or "cleansing" along with it.  However, your search still did produce results that I didn't want--viz., "cleansing her."

I *only* want to find "her purification" or "her cleansing" and I see no reason why the Research Tab can't get this right.

Edited by TYA

Can anyone else confirm this problem.  Accordance Team: any word on this?

Thanks everyone.

Something is confused in the syntax of the search, though I don't know if it's a bug or not. I get the same results as you with the way you've entered the search, but I get what you want if the phrase is more explicitly defined: "her purification" <OR>  "her cleansing"

• Like 1

Nice! I think that's a bug. I hope the programmers can weigh in with some thoughts.

But, to get your result try

her <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> (purification, cleansing)

The first command you tried:

her (purification, cleansing)

is actually doing an AND search. (I think so, at least.)

I.e., it is looking for "her" AND (purification OR cleansing)

The second search is odd, because it is correct for some texts but not for others.

Thanks all.

but I get what you want if the phrase is more explicitly defined: "her purification" <OR>  "her cleansing"

Do you mean that you don't get any "false" results of just the word "her" by itself in various resources?  How you phrased the search here is exactly what I initially tried (and have always done, to my memory), and yet it is giving me the false results I spoke of.

But, to get your result try

her <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> (purification, cleansing)

This actually works almost 99% well as an alternative, although I did get a hit for "her, cleansing" instead of just "her cleansing".  So thanks, Ken, for this ingenuous alternative.

I do hope whatever bug gets fixed though, as I do simple "OR" searches quite often.

I tried a construct version of this. It has basically similar issues for the most part, but if you create two constructs and <OR> them together it seems to work if it runs without crashing. I had it crash a couple of times alas. So not a real w/a and in any case not as convenient as the search box for this kind of query

thx

D

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I want to refresh my request for this issue of false hits for a compound "OR" search in the Research Tab to be fixed.  Here again I encountered it, as shown in this screenshot.  That being said, I happened back upon Ken's workaround up above, and this search (whole <OR> entire) <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> (Torah, Teaching, Law) in the Research Tab seems to have accomplished what I needed after all.  Thanks again Ken!

false hits - English search - Research Tab.jpg

• Like 2