Contraction Search No Longer Works

Brett K.

In the past, I could search for contractions in English texts (Bibles) using wildcards. For example, using:

=*n't

would return all verses in a text that used the words can't, don't, won't, etc. Now it returns the error:

A quotation character is missing. Each quotation character must be followed by a corresponding quotation character to indicate that inflected forms are intended.

I assume this has something to do with the single quotation mark character (') being used as a symbol. I tried escaping the single quotation mark with a backslah (\), but that did not work. I tried everything I could think without any luck.

Searching for contractions as whole words does work. For example:

cant' <OR> don't <OR> won't

But I would like to use the search string I had already created that will find every contraction without having to list each one in its full form (i.e. no wildcards).

Any ideas?

Thanks

--

Brett

Hi Brett,
If this had been working, and now it is producing an error, I think I would report it as a bug. I had never searched for something like this before, but I just tried it and got the same error as you did.

Take care,

Kristin

It looks like we're treating single quotes in the same way we treat double quotes. I'll check with our developers and see if this is new behavior.