get rid of ALL headers for ALL Bibles

Kristin

While I can understand some people may appreciate them, I really dislike headers in bibles since 90% of the time I think they are inaccurate. Since Accordance was crashing every 2 minutes I needed to update, and now I can't figure out how to get rid of ALL of them. I figured out that I can set the text display for the ESV, but they are still there for the NIV. Do I really need to change the text display for every Bible I own? Is there a way to turn them ALL off? I have looked in settings and can't figure it out.

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide, it has been long day.

Kristin

• Like 1

Hi @Kristin

Yep, turned them off as soon as they came out.

Preferences -> Text Display -> Advanced.

Then uncheck both : Show book titles and Show section headings.

thx

D

Edited by Λύχνις Δαν
  • Like 1

The problem with turning them off is that they somehow turn themselves on again.  I don’t like the wasted space they involve.

1 hour ago, Clint Cozier said:

The problem with turning them off is that they somehow turn themselves on again.  I don’t like the wasted space they involve.

I've not seen that Clint but if you can reproduce it it would be worth logging a bug so it can be fixed.

Thx

D

• Like 1

It's tied to a crash that happens running the beta and is a unique "feature" of my machine. Let me see if I can get more specific about what causes the reset. Regardless, I'd prefer to have a universal setting to turn them all off all the time. I'm sure they are a great feature for some users, but I'd vastly prefer the extra screen space they use up for my own purposes.

As Dan mentioned, the following settings will globally turn off all headings and book titles. If they're turning themselves back on again, there's definitely an issue with your install and you should contact tech support.

1) From the Accordance menu, select "Preferences"

2) Select the "Text Display" preferences and click on the "Advanced" Tab
3) Uncheck "Show book titles" and "Show section headings"

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3

Being too lazy to remember the exact place in Preferences, I just use the (pretty excellent) Search feature in Prefs and searched for "section" and came up to the same place Mark mentioned with "Show section headings" already highlighted. Thanks, Accordance. :)

• Like 4

Or you could just ignore them like that nosy neighbor next door or the trouble maker co-worker at work 😁

Edited by Diatheke76

Hi @Diatheke76,

You are for sure lucky if you are capable of doing that, but when I am studying every single word and letter and point of punctuation to the point of exhaustion, it is basically impossible for me to not accidentally read it. For sure grateful I was able to turn them off! :)

I am lucky indeed, @Kristin! I even tell people who read print Bibles to ignore them, since a handful of them tend to read those sometimes 😁

• Like 2

This is the nice thing about Accordance. You have the option to have them on or off. A while back there was a topic asking for the headings, so there is a group that wants them and a group that does not, just like with other features and preferences. Let's just be thankful that Accordance gives us the ability to customize our settings so that we can have the program looking and functioning the way we want it to.  🙂

• Like 5

Amen @Erhard 👍😁👌

The toggle exists in Preferences. 🙂

Click Prefs, search 'Headings', uncheck the box. 

Only needs to be done one time. 

Your wish was their command. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the inline Headings, but I don't have a problem ignoring them.

But I loathe that the new feature added "Headings" as a search field, so ⌘; is now rendered painful to use. My muscle memory is YEARS old using ⌘; to toggle between Verses and Words, and I do it constantly, and now Headings won't go away as an option even though I have Headings hidden in the preferences, which makes no sense.

The "Flex" option used to not show up if you didn't do Flex searches (which I never do), but now field options for Text windows are as sophisticated as Tools are.

I'm trying to teach myself to do ⌘⌃w and ⌘⌃v but old dog here. 

#firstworldproblems

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:56 AM, Joe Weaks said:

#firstworldproblems

Indeed! It's good to remind ourselves of that from time to time. 😃

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 12:56 AM, Joe Weaks said:

Headings won't go away as an option even though I have Headings hidden in the preferences, which makes no sense.

Feature request added. 

• Like 2

Section Headings in NRSV digital version 5.0 or any digital version should not be the DEFAULT position.  Research by behavior psychologists shows that the default option has greater weight and influence on behavior and assessment than the opt-out option. Section titles are coercive: they appear as authoritative as the text and imprint on it in a way that deters careful study of biblical passages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deirdregood said:

Section Headings in NRSV digital version 5.0 or any digital version should not be the DEFAULT position.  Research by behavior psychologists shows that the default option has greater weight and influence on behavior and assessment than the opt-out option. Section titles are coercive: they appear as authoritative as the text and imprint on it in a way that deters careful study of biblical passages. 

Rick has responded to this issue in another thread (pasted below), but let me add that we try to stay true to the publisher's layout and content preferences when at all possible. That's why other elements involving some level of subjectivity (such as poetry formatting and red lettering for Jesus' words) are displayed as the default.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, deirdregood said:

should not be the DEFAULT position

I agree at the core, that Section Headers, and heck, even verse and chapter divisions, dilute and taint the scripture reading, for my typically church folk in particular. But, I'm less concerned with it as a default in Accordance, because the Accordance user is not the same as my church members of whom I speak. They on the whole are more sophisticated in understanding what the text is and isn't.

The bigger problem for the software developer, however, is choosing defaults. When they release a new feature, they pretty much have to make it a default, otherwise ongoing users will never discover it is there. At the least, I recognized it's a difficult issue.

• Like 5

I prefer the visual defaults are the publisher's choice on a per-title basis. Thanks Mark.

If I don't happen to like that publisher's choice, well, I can always change it.

Any way to get the fonts to align to publisher's choice by default?

13 minutes ago, dandennison said:

Any way to get the fonts to align to publisher's choice by default?

We try to get as close as possible within the current limitations of Accordance's text display options.