Better Search Range Presets

Andrew Patterson

I find it incredibly perplexing that the only preset range options when searching are Law, History, Wisdom, Prophets, Gospels, Acts, Epistles, and Revelation. Even the most basic free Bible apps have presets to search individual books as well as the entire OT/NT/Apocrypha. It would be awesome to add those presets.

Also perhaps presets for the Pauline and Johannine writings? Or other common breakdowns? 

Hi Andrew! You probably know that you can edit those ranges and add any divisions you want. If not, let me know.

Also, as discussed in a webinar I led today, there’s an extremely detailed set of ranges you can download from the Accordance Exchange. Look for the ones that have a minimum of version 12. 

I guess mine is listed there too. I have added some Quran presets.

Edited by Fabian

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 2:51 PM, R. Mansfield said:

Hi Andrew! You probably know that you can edit those ranges and add any divisions you want. If not, let me know.

Also, as discussed in a webinar I led today, there’s an extremely detailed set of ranges you can download from the Accordance Exchange. Look for the ones that have a minimum of version 12. 

I did know those can be manually added! I really like that ability, I just don't quite see why these have to be added.

"and asked them, 'Did you receive the Accordance Exchange when you believed?' They answered, 'No, we have not even heard that there is an Accordance Exchange.'" (Acts 19.2, Twisted Application Version)

This is very helpful. Thank you! I still think it might be nice to have them come with the software by default, but I'll take what I can get for sure! 

2 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

I did know those can be manually added! I really like that ability, I just don't quite see why these have to be added.

"and asked them, 'Did you receive the Accordance Exchange when you believed?' They answered, 'No, we have not even heard that there is an Accordance Exchange.'" (Acts 19.2, Twisted Application Version)

This is very helpful. Thank you! I still think it might be nice to have them come with the software by default, but I'll take what I can get for sure! 

When you think about it, the choice is one of the best things about Accordance. You set up the ranges that you use without having the frustration of them set the way I would use them. That is the most helpful of all when you have lots of users with different needs.

I've downloaded the "Search Ranges.apref" several times from Accordance Exchange, installed in Accordance Preferences (option-GO/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Accordance Preferences) but it never worked )MacOs Big Sur/ Accordance 13.3.1).

Frustrating.

pbp

On 10/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, Lester P. Bagley said:

When you think about it, the choice is one of the best things about Accordance. You set up the ranges that you use without having the frustration of them set the way I would use them. That is the most helpful of all when you have lots of users with different needs.

Yes, you're right. Still, perhaps a happy medium could be implemented: Leave the current presets in place by default, with an option in Preferences to a enable more thorough set of presets? 

On 10/7/2021 at 2:51 PM, R. Mansfield said:

For example, these could possibly be pre-loaded somewhere for optional access, so users don't have to "mod" them in.

By the way, I found that set to be exactly what I wanted. I'm sure many other users would agree!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:22 PM, pbp said:

I've downloaded the "Search Ranges.apref" several times from Accordance Exchange, installed in Accordance Preferences (option-GO/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Accordance Preferences) but it never worked )MacOs Big Sur/ Accordance 13.3.1).

Frustrating.

pbp

Sorry for your frustration! A couple of things may have happened:

1) The downloaded file was never unzipped and still has the .zip extension (that's not likely to be what happened though)

2) The original "Search Ranges" file was never removed. There are 2 different Search Range files on the Accordance exchange; one says "v10" required and the other says "v12" required. The one that requires a minimum of v12 is the one you want. When downloaded, you'll see that the full name of the modules is "Search Ranges.apref". It's likely that you still have a file called "Search Ranges" (without the extension) in your Accordance Preferences folder, and that Accordance is still using that one instead of the newer version.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:51 PM, R. Mansfield said:

Where do I copy or install this set of ranges on my MacBook?  Thanks

24 minutes ago, DoosanMan said:

Where do I copy or install this set of ranges on my MacBook?  Thanks

The search range file that you downloaded from the Accordance Exchange is named "Search Ranges.apref". It goes in your Accordance Preferences folder. That's found in your home library folder which is hidden by Apple.

1) To display the Library folder, hold down the option key while clicking "Go" on the Finder menu.
2) Select "Library" from the menu.

3) Open the "Preferences" folder.

4) Open the "Accordance Preferences" folder.

5) There will be a "Search Ranges" or "Search Ranges.apref" file in that folder. Delete it and replace it with the one you downloaded.

6) Restart Accordance.

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

Sorry for your frustration! A couple of things may have happened:

1) The downloaded file was never unzipped and still has the .zip extension (that's not likely to be what happened though)

2) The original "Search Ranges" file was never removed. There are 2 different Search Range files on the Accordance exchange; one says "v10" required and the other says "v12" required. The one that requires a minimum of v12 is the one you want. When downloaded, you'll see that the full name of the modules is "Search Ranges.apref". It's likely that you still have a file called "Search Ranges" (without the extension) in your Accordance Preferences folder, and that Accordance is still using that one instead of the newer version.

Done several times. It doesn't work for me.

pbp

17 minutes ago, pbp said:

Done several times. It doesn't work for me.

pbp

And you're certain there aren't two "Search Ranges" files in your Accordance Preferences folder? 

16 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

And you're certain there aren't two "Search Ranges" files in your Accordance Preferences folder? 

yes

2108528701_ScreenShot2021-10-28at7_52_08.thumb.png.718160b644784c810b9cd67d1c4bfc8d.png

5 hours ago, pbp said:

yes

2108528701_ScreenShot2021-10-28at7_52_08.thumb.png.718160b644784c810b9cd67d1c4bfc8d.png

Everything certainly looks okay. Would you mind trying to replace your search ranges file with this one instead? Make sure you restart Accordance when you're done.

Search Ranges.apref.zip

Everything certainly looks okay. Would you mind trying to replace your search ranges file with this one instead? Make sure you restart Accordance when you're done.

Search Ranges.apref.zip 1.5 kB · 3 downloads

I do not want to bother about that more than necessary. I can live without better search ranges. In any case, it doesn't work.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 14.35.42.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 14.34.22.png

14 minutes ago, pbp said:

I do not want to bother about that more than necessary. I can live without better search ranges. In any case, it doesn't work.

Ah, I see the problem. You're putting the search ranges file in your Accordance Preferences folder located in Library—>Application Support—>Accordance—>Accordance Preferences.
It needs to be placed in the Accordance Preferences folder located in Library—>Preferences—>Accordance Preferences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Ah, I see the problem. You're putting the search ranges file in your Accordance Preferences folder located in Library—>Application Support—>Accordance—>Accordance Preferences.
It needs to be placed in the Accordance Preferences folder located in Library—>Preferences—>Accordance Preferences.

Yes. This was the problem. Now it works perfectly!

Thank you indeed for your stubborn patience with me!

pbp

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pbp said:

Yes. This was the problem. Now it works perfectly!

Thank you indeed for your stubborn patience with me!

pbp

NP. I'm just sorry this process isn't as easy as it should be. Hopefully we'llcome up with a more transparent solution soon.

Edited by Mark Allison

On 10/27/2021 at 6:30 AM, Mark Allison said:

The search range file that you downloaded from the Accordance Exchange is named "Search Ranges.apref". It goes in your Accordance Preferences folder. That's found in your home library folder which is hidden by Apple.

1) To display the Library folder, hold down the option key while clicking "Go" on the Finder menu.
2) Select "Library" from the menu.

3) Open the "Preferences" folder.

4) Open the "Accordance Preferences" folder.

5) There will be a "Search Ranges" or "Search Ranges.apref" file in that folder. Delete it and replace it with the one you downloaded.

6) Restart Accordance.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:54 AM, Mark Allison said:

Mark

I looked, and both the Application Support and the Preferences folders of my Library folder contain an Accordance Preferences folder. That is quite confusing! From what you say I could or should delete the one in Application Support. Is that correct?

Michael

29 minutes ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

Mark

I looked, and both the Application Support and the Preferences folders of my Library folder contain an Accordance Preferences folder. That is quite confusing! From what you say I could or should delete the one in Application Support. Is that correct?

Michael

I think that the file Search Ranges.apref has to be ONLY in: Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences. NOT in: Application Support/Accordance/Accordance Preferences

For me it worked, finally

pbp

1 hour ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

Mark

Michael

Both those Accordance Preferences folders need to exist in their two locations. But the search ranges file should only be placed in ~Library—>Preferences—>Accordance Preferences.

Both those Accordance Preferences folders need to exist in their two locations. But the search ranges file should only be placed in ~Library—>Preferences—>Accordance Preferences.

So does Accordance keep them synchronized? In my case, one has 33 items (Accordance Support) and the other 43.

6 minutes ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

So does Accordance keep them synchronized? In my case, one has 33 items (Accordance Support) and the other 43.

Both folders are required to be present for Accordance to function properly. One is essentially a backup of the other, but I'm not sure which one is the backup. That's all I know 🙂

34 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Both folders are required to be present for Accordance to function properly. One is essentially a backup of the other, but I'm not sure which one is the backup. That's all I know 🙂

Some of the files are of the same date. Others is Accordance Support are several years older. Strange sort of backup 🤔

• Like 1