FLASH ⚡ SALE! Word Biblical Commentary: $399

R. Mansfield

Don't miss the one-week FLASH SALE on The Word Biblical Commentary (61 volumes) at the lowest price ever! Add it to your Accordance Library for only $399!

Sale ends on October 11 at 11:59 PM EDT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• R. Mansfield changed the title to FLASH ⚡ SALE! Word Biblical Commentary: $399

I already own most of WBC.  I note that Psalms & Joshua purport to be revisions.  So I am wondering if it is worthwhile to buy the revision or are the older ones OK?

WBC: Joshua 1-12 and 13-24 (Word Biblical Commentary): WBC: Volumes 07A (Revised) and 07B (Revised) / January 01, 2014, but is expensive at $104 for me.

The hype on Joshua says "This new edition takes into account the most recent scholarly work on the book of Joshua.

But the Psalms:  WBC: Psalms 1-50 (2nd Ed.), 51-100, 101-150 (Rev. Ed.) (Word Biblical Commentary): WBC: Volumes 19 (2nd Ed.), 20, and 21 (Revised) with (With 2004 Supplement by Marvin E. Tate) isn't so expensive for me at $44.

If Joshua's only improvement is expanded bibliography (most recent scholarly), I don't think I would spring for it.

Is the Tate supplement new to the revised edition?

At any rate, I would like some opinion on whether one should spend money on these revisions. But not from the POV of somebody trying to make a sale! LOL.

@Enoch, in case you missed it where I responded to this question on the other thread...

Joshua was revised pretty much throughout. I don't know percentages, but it would read differently in places, I imagine, if held side by side with the older version. Incidentally, I spent about two hours with Trent Butler at a conference giving him a refresher on how to use Accordance as he was starting to write the revision. You can rest well in knowing that the revised version of the Joshua commentary is Accordance-powered!

Also, anecdotally, I had Dr. Marvin Tate for an MDiv course, Theology of the Old Testament, back around 1994. He was one of the sweetest, most soft-spoken men I had as a teacher, but a virtual living encyclopedia of biblical knowledge on both testaments. He could answer any question off the top of his head and would tell you book and page number to go look it up yourself. 

• Like 1

Thanks so very much for that information. BTW, Do you know why the publisher of WBC directed that the volume on Colossians-Philemon should not be sold?

Did the publisher deem its content heretical? LOL.

The author did not properly attribute secondary sources which resulted in a charge of plagiarism, so the publishers pulled it. This has happened to a few authors over the last couple of years. Commentary writers review an immense amount of material from other authors in order to survey the field, and they often sound like one another in certain phrasing here or there. It's also possible that they jot down notes or quotes on various passages and forget to include a citation, and then the quote gets assimilated into the final product. The publishers acknowledged that the plagiarism was likely not intentional, but publishing standards forced them to retract the works. It's a sad situation because they were good commentaries. The authors who did this are not heretics, just people in need of better writing processes.

Back to the original topic, this is a terrific price on the WBC.

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JonathanHuber said:

The authors who did this are not heretics, just people in need of better writing processes.

It's also the reality of a digital age. In Barclay's Daily Study Bible, he will often write something like, "I once read from someone somewhere..." and tell a story or quote lines in a poem. I've actually had some success tracking down some of his "anonymous" quotes with the internet, which obviously he didn't have access to when he was writing. I love Barclay's writing and stories and have his original series in print on my shelves and the updated version in Accordance, but there's no way he could ever get this work published today like he was able to in the 1950s. It's much easier to find sources when you can search digitally (internet, Accordance, etc.).

IMG_5053.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to say thank you Accordance and to the publisher for making this resource so accessible to students! This is an incredible value for WBC!

Question: I previously purchased individual WBC volumes earlier this year - so now I have 7 duplicates which won't be touched, is it possible to return these 7 copies at about 1/2 to 3/4 the price purchased for them - is there a system in place for duplicated copies?

Thank you,

Greg

23 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

@Enoch, in case you missed it where I responded to this question on the other thread...

Joshua was revised pretty much throughout. I don't know percentages, but it would read differently in places, I imagine, if held side by side with the older version. Incidentally, I spent about two hours with Trent Butler at a conference giving him a refresher on how to use Accordance as he was starting to write the revision. You can rest well in knowing that the revised version of the Joshua commentary is Accordance-powered!

Also, anecdotally, I had Dr. Marvin Tate for an MDiv course, Theology of the Old Testament, back around 1994. He was one of the sweetest, most soft-spoken men I had as a teacher, but a virtual living encyclopedia of biblical knowledge on both testaments. He could answer any question off the top of his head and would tell you book and page number to go look it up yourself. 

Thank you R Mansfield. You sold me!  I bought.  The plagiarism charge on Col-Philemon reminds me of the book of Hebrews:

But one hath somewhere testified, saying,
    What is man, that thou art mindful of him?
    Or the son of man, that thou visitest him? ...

For he hath said somewhere of the seventh day on this wise, And God rested on the seventh day from all his works;

I am surprised about the plagiarism charge. Are the publishers excessively strict?  If the "plagiarism" is of only a couple of sentences, I would be prone to think it is of no legal significance (me not a lawyer).  And as I understand it, if you go to court & seek damages, you have to have been damaged.  So how many dollars was the author damaged?

As I recall, I compared US History college textbooks and found the exact same wording here or there, leading to the supposition that such authors copy each other.  Sometimes the explanation can be that both writers copied from some older writer!  And I never had a college history textbook that bothered to give any footnotes to establish just how they know that something happened.  But then I bought a modern introductory Greek textbook which I like to use teaching Greek, published by an obscure monastery publisher; then I found an old (I think 19th century Greek textbook with exactly the same words, very long plagiarism). 

Have you heard this story:

A student at a seminary of a very famous British preacher was hauled into the Dean's office for plagiarizing a sermon for a homiletics class.  The Dean accused the student of plagiarizing this famous preacher's sermon, as the Dean had heard the famous preacher preach it.  But the student denied it.  Then the Dean brought in the famous preacher to confront the student.  Then the famous preacher confessed that he had used (plagiarized) somebody else's sermon himself -- evidently the source of that student's plagiarism.  ROFL time. 

Since I own the condemned commentary on Col-Philemon, I will now treasure it more!

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

I am surprised about the plagiarism charge. Are the publishers excessively strict?  If the "plagiarism" is of only a couple of sentences, I would be prone to think it is of no legal significance (me not a lawyer).  And as I understand it, if you go to court & seek damages, you have to have been damaged.  So how many dollars was the author damaged?

Unfortunately, scrutiny of such things is at an all-time high. Publishers are fearful of any kind of report of possible plagiarism. The good thing is that most of the content goes through greater editorial scrutiny. Unfortunately, that accounts for delayed publication and higher costs. 

There was always a rule about plagiarism that something doesn’t have to be cited if it’s “general knowledge.” But heaven forbid you write “George Washington was the first U.S. president,” and there’s an earlier work with the exact same wording. And there’s always been a gray line between what’s general knowledge now and what was someone else’s new idea at an earlier time. 

Peter O’Brien’s work is quite good. He was very humble about the charges and accepted fault for not being careful in note taking in earlier years. But I still feel funny about all of it. His reputation is forever tarnished. He had a long teaching and writing career; but this plagiarism charge, which should have been a minor footnote to his life, may overshadow all the good that he’s done. 

• Like 3

Any timeline on the missing volumes (at one time I had heard Acts was only months off, but that was many years ago).

-Dan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Francis said:

Any timeline on the missing volumes (at one time I had heard Acts was only months off, but that was many years ago).

I don't know. Rick Bennett, who used to work for us, knew the Acts writer personally and kept up with progress. But I've not heard anything in a while.

LAST CHANCE for the lowest price ever on the WORD BIBLICAL COMMENTARY (61 volumes) for Accordance Bible Software. Grab it for only $399 until midnight EDT tonight!

Thank you Accordance and to the publisher for making this resource so accessible to students! This is an incredible value for WBC!

Question: I previously purchased individual WBC volumes earlier this year - so now I have 7 duplicates which won't be touched, is it possible to return these 7 copies at about 1/2 to 3/4 the price purchased for them - is there a system in place for duplicated copies?

1 hour ago, Kitschlane said:

You'll need to contact sales@accordancebible.com to ask this question.

1 hour ago, R. Mansfield said:

You'll need to contact sales@accordancebible.com to ask this question.

OK, thanks Rick.