All Highlights Disappeared in Accordance 13.3.1

Lester P. Bagley

Opened My Highlights and switched to Markers and all my highlights in all Bibles disappeared.

The "My Highlights.hlt" file was renamed "My Highlights.hlt.acc1" and reduced in size from 340KB to 4KB.

Only by restoring files from my backup disk do highlights return.

That is really concerning. So if I am understanding correctly the highlight file seemed to rename itself? Or did it create a new file with the .acc1 ending? Hopefully you did not lose too much info.

It takes the "My Highlights.hit" file and creates a new (empty) "My Highlights.hit.acc1" and then appears to corrupt and empty the original file.

Since I keep backup drives I didn't permanently lose anything yet.

Hi Lester,

Thanks for clarifying, and that is really strange that it did that two step process. I do a lot of highlight work and would be too nervous to update before this is for sure resolved.

I am glad to hear you did not lose anything.
Kristin

• 3 months later...

May I ask how you restored from a backup? I am pretty sure I cleared out my highlights on iPad. When I opened on my iMac the highlights were still there. I synced with Dropbox on the iMac then on the iPad and now no highlights are displayed on either. I tried restoring the highlights file from Timemachine but still nothing. I logged into another account on the iMac and there are still highlights there. I backed up that highlight file and copied it to my profile but still nothing. Any ideas?

Hi @James Gomez, I am not sure if this question is directed at me or Lester, so I will let you know my thoughts just in case.

I see your issue as a two part issue. The first issue is syncing, and the second is restoring.

Regarding syncing, I personally avoid dropbox at all costs for syncing, as doing a dropbox sync from my iPad to my Mac was catastrophic. It ate both highlights and notes I had made and I wound up turning off Dropbox on both my iPad and Mac, and for me personally, it just works to not do major work on the iPad and keep the devices separate for now. I know that Accordance is working on their own syncing system, and I am sure it will be better than Dropbox. So that is my thought of syncing.

Concerning the backup, it sounds like you are dealing with three devices. Two of the devices, the iPad and what I will call Mac1 caused a syncing disaster, but a third device, what I will call Mac2 still has the original highlights but transferring it did not work.

I think my top concern is that Mac2 does not sync and update itself to look like the iPad and Mac1. That stated, I think the highlight file transfer did not work since it was the same name and Accordance needs every file to be original. So if you add "My Highlights" from another computer, it will still look for the My Highlights it had.

Thus, I would go to Mac2 and go into the highlight files in your document and DUPLICATE the working file. Then with the duplicated file I would rename it RestoredHighlights. I would personally keep it one word just to be safe. Then copy RestoredHighlights to Mac1 and it should recognize it.

If not, do Time Machine on Mac1 or Mac2 and you can find the file from how it was before the Dropbox sync.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

Hello Kristin,

I have no idea what I've done but nothing is working.

It's actually a single iMac and I am logging in under two different accounts. One is mine and one is my wife's.

Under my wife's account the highlights are there (not synced to Dropbox under her login). Under my login and on my iPad, no highlights exist.

I just restored the entire Accordance preference folder from the day before the problem started while logged into the iMac as myself and still no highlights are displayed.

HANG ON! Okay. I just restored the highlights file with TimeMachine. TM asked if I wanted wanted to over-write or keep both. I chose keep both but I assumed that the one renamed My Mobile Highlights (Original) was the file that was in the Highlights folder to begin with. In Accordance I chose "My Mobile Highlights" and... nothing. I went ahead and selected "original" and my highlights returned. So confusing. To update the iPad I just had to highlight something and Sync to Dropbox, then sync on the iPad, and now all is back. (all ARE back???) I got's to work more on my gooder taking skills. :( The issue was that I was confused as to which file was the "restored" file from TimeMachine. 

Thanks for the advise.

Take care,

James

• Like 1

Hi @James Gomez,

That is for sure strange out it worked out, but I am glad you got it all back, even though it does not make a lot of sense. :) On a side note, this story really stresses the importance of backups. After the highlight issue I ran into I now backup my computer to Time Machine every day, and then twice a day if I do anything super critical.

I am glad it worked out,

Kristin