modern Greek?

Kristin

I am not sure if this is a module request, or a question if the resource exists or not, but does Accordance have an actual modern Greek Bible, as in, using the language they currently use in Greece?

If I type "modern Greek" into the Accordance store there is a resource which pops up, but it is in Katharavousa Greek, which is Greek from the 18th century. So I am wondering if there is an actual modern version published in the last few decades.

Thank you for any clarity anyone is able to provide.

Sincerely,

Kristin

Hello Kristin

I have requested some modern Greek Bibles, because there aren’t in the Store. 

They do have this: https://accordancebible.com/product/modern-greek-bible/

Modern Greek Bible

Prod ID: VAMVAS
Accordance: $19.90

Vamvas (Bambas) Version of 1850

This is the modern Protestant Greek version translated into Katharavousa Greek. It is not used by the Greek Orthodox Church, which prefers the LXX OT and the Textus Receptus NT.

Product Details

Sorry...I didn't read the entire original post before my message above. I guess you are looking for something more along the lines of this:

https://www.greekbibles.org/index.php?id_product=1&controller=product&id_lang=1

Today's Greek Bible w/Deuterocanonicals & Apocrypha

"The translation of the whole Bible in Today’s Greek from the original texts is the fruit of around thirty years of work, done by twelve Greek University Professors. With the Blessings and Approval of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece, the greek people have nowadays the whole bible translated; this edition is enriched with Introductions to each individual book of the Bible, historical-chronological charts, glossary and colored maps so that the reader may have a fuller understanding of the Bible text. This edition contains the Deuterocanonical books of the Old Testament."

• Like 1

Hi @docdave,

Ya, concerning the first link, I seriously almost bought it since it said "modern Greek" but then thankfully before I did i realized it was the modern Greek from the 18th century. 😕 Sooo, I think that title needs to be changed. In part because of people looking for modern Greek, and also because people looking for Katharavousa Greek would pass it up thinking it was modern.

Concerning the second link, I think that might actually be even older. It says it is approved by the Orthodox, and the "modern" Greek page in Accordance warns that Katharavousa is not a good Bible for the Orthodox, as "the Greek Orthodox Church,... prefers the LXX OT and the Textus Receptus NT."

Since Accordance doesn't have this, I will just pose my actual need and see if you have ideas.

Like most people here, I learned Koine Greek. I know that there are some similarities, but more differences between Koine and modern Greek. If you think of Tyndale vs modern English, for example, and that was only a few hundred years ago, compared to Koine being a few thousand years ago.

I am trying to get a handle on the actual differences between Koine and modern Greek, and I thought comparing the Bible would be the most logical way.

I am also not 100% sure that there even is a modern Greek Bible in publication. Maybe the Katharavousa Greek Bible is the most recent. I am not sure.

Take care,

Kristin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kristin said:

Concerning the second link, I think that might actually be even older. It says it is approved by the Orthodox, and the "modern" Greek page in Accordance warns that Katharavousa is not a good Bible for the Orthodox, as "the Greek Orthodox Church,... prefers the LXX OT and the Textus Receptus NT."

Hi Kristin!

For the second link, they say that the translation was "done by twelve Greek University Professors," and looking on the 'about us' part of their website I see:

"The Hellenic Bible Society already has offered to the Greek people three translations into different language levels.

• Translation of the entire Bible by the Archimandrite Neophytos Vamvas, Professor of the University of Athens, (1850).
  • Translation of the New Testament by a group of professors of the University of Athens led by Professor Vasilios Vellas (1967).
  • Translation of the entire Bible into Modern (demotic) Greek by a group of 12 Professors of the Theological Schools of Athens and Thessalonica (1997)."

So I am thinking it is either the 1967 or the 1997 translation.

Hi @docdave,

Ok, thank you for clarifying that. :) That is good to know. I think I might have found a sort of "Bible Gateway type" site that has a modern Greek Bible, so I might just look at that in the meantime if Accordance doesn't have a resource. I will keep my eye out for a modern Greek Bible in Accordance though, as having it parallel and such would be helpful.

I appreciate the links though.

Take care,

Kristin

• Like 1