Please more ads!

rokas

@AccordanceTeam First of all, it's nice that you've added a button on the splash screen to current sales; if I think this is a move towards the right direction! 😍

I like ads, especially on great deals, and actually I would like to see more ads in the software itself

Wordsearchbible had an additional welcome screen which showed current sales and even special deals not available on the website, and I often took advantage of them. Logos has also a possibility to have deals and sales shown on the home screen (with a possibility to turn them off).

Logos gets bashed for their aggressive sales strategy, but it is essential for any business where stuff is being sold. The money comes only through the sales, especially so for Accordance. I'd like to see Accordance thriving, and become more aggressive towards selling. I guess everyone knows what happened to Bibleworks. Well, it happened because they refused to sell stuff with their idea that people should buy paper books. People went and bought stuff elsewhere - be it Logos or Accordance. The fall was foreseeable.

Of course, it should be possible to turn the ads off. In Logos I can turn everything off and use software indefinitely without seeing a single ad. I still keep some of them on. 

In other words, Accordance should cater more to people who want to buy stuff, without forgetting those who don't 😃

Additional suggestions:

• even more sales, on more resources
  • more new resources to the platform - It's often the same stuff that is on sale that was a few months ago
  • offer subscription services - of course ADDITIONALY to buying stuff
  • offer a wider range of collections  - I will open a separate topic for that

Thanks for reading, and God bless you.

Edited by rokas
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On the contra side, I love it that Accordance does "soft sell" and doesn't bombard you with constant sales pitches. I have an older version of Quicken that begs me to upgrade every time I boot it up. I have spent several thousand dollars over the years investing in quality resources. So, the approach that Accordance has used as worked well with me.

If you are not getting the newsletter I recommend signing up for it. You will get information on the latest offerings on a regular basis. But please don't modify the app.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Tony Lawrence said:

On the contra side, I love it that Accordance does "soft sell" and doesn't bombard you with constant sales pitches. I have an older version of Quicken that begs me to upgrade every time I boot it up. I have spent several thousand dollars over the years investing in quality resources. So, the approach that Accordance has used as worked well with me.

If you are not getting the newsletter I recommend signing up for it. You will get information on the latest offerings on a regular basis. But please don't modify the app.

I have a feeling you didn't read my post.

You're giving me an example of something which cannot be turned off. So it doesn't work as "contra side". 🙂

Is this intended to be satirical? If not, then I disagree. If so, good on you!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, KevinPurcell said:

Is this intended to be satirical? If not, then I disagree. If so, good on you!

no, it's not. Why would you disagree?

An additional welcome screen with some news and ads and a checkbox option "show on startup" wouldn't do much damage and would do much good.

Yea.... as for the adds, I am not sold on that either. I wouldn't mind it but it's not that big of deal to be without it either. However, I think the suggestion you made on being more aggressive in adding more resources to the platform, along with having more diverse sales was right on par. The motto - "quality instead of quantity" - can only be partially true, because for that to be totally true, the resources would then have to be equally valued by all the consumers, which is highly unlikely. To be fair, Accordance does have a good selection of resources available for purchase, but at the same time, I wish they had far more. 

So to your point, I think being aggressive in adding much more in the future is a great idea :)

• Like 1

I don't think ads are the problem per se or having them in the app.

I'm currently with Logos and the bundles they offer are substantially more cost-effective than anything accordance has.

For instance I'm going to switch if I can but I have 792 resources after buying the silver package.

What I would be able to buy here for the same price (which coincidentally is about $792 give or take a few shekels)

would be  maybe 100 resources. I think they need to look at Logos and how they bundle their software.

Accordance interface  so clean and easy to use. I can't wrap my head around Logos.

The other downside of accordance is that I want to switch but I can't even get the app to load and I've tried every which way. This seems to be a constant problem at least going back to 2017 or so from what I can tell. That makes me very wary. I was actually going to switch over but now I'm hesitant which really sucks actually because As I said it's very  hard to navigate things in Logos at least from my perspective.

So I guess what I'm saying is it's not about whether there is in app purchases (an app window) but about the deals themselves. Logos  does  something very interesting and smart. They offer a deal on software that they are developing so that they can pay for it before it even gets done or tagged. Accordance should start a program such as this if it has enough members at if it doesn't that should tell you something. I'm not a big fan of Logos as far as interface which is a crucial thing but as far as there packages and pricing it's miles ahead of accordance I don't mean any of these things in a negative way they are meant to be constructive. They really need to fix the bugs though because here I sit not being able to load my accordance app on Windows 10. I don't know what people who pay $40,000 think of an app that crashes all the time but I wouldn't be very happy if it were me.

Leaving aside the other points, I have thought that the competition’s system of allowing customers to sign up at a discount for prospective releases would be a good idea for Avoidance to adopt. It could serve to measure interest better and to focus product development resources on things that will definitely sell.

However, one danger in this is offering vaporware. I’ve only signed up for one of their offers, when it was “gathering interest”. After a year or so, I was pleased to see that it was “in production,” and I expected to have it within a few months. No such luck: I’m not sure exactly how long it’s been in production, but I think it’s at least the better part of a year. And there are other vaguely interesting items that have been in the “Coming Soon” section of the monthly sale page month after month.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, spikenme said:

I want to switch but I can't even get the app to load and I've tried every which way. This seems to be a constant problem at least going back to 2017 or so from what I can tell.

I would think that if you contact support they would be able take care of this for you.

Their ph# is 407-339-0266.  Their e-mail address is: techsupport@accordancebible.com

Office hours are Monday - Friday, from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Eastern.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, spikenme said:

The other downside of accordance is that I want to switch but I can't even get the app to load and I've tried every which way. This seems to be a constant problem at least going back to 2017 or so from what I can tell.

That surprises me. I have never had any issues loading Accordance on my Windows machines, and I have had it on several different ones.

I really like Accordance and the way that it works. In terms of the number of resources - I have Logos 9 Gold and have taken a large number of the resources off my computer because I would not use those particular ones or find their theological viewpoint to be something that I do not care for. I think that it may be helpful to think about what resources you really want to have and then compare the costs and benefits of the software and the resources.

I happen to be a regular user of the other software now also, and quite frankly, the ads embedded in the app were the first thing I disabled. Given everything that I've personally witnessed and experienced from that software, I think they are the most visible sign of the deeper issues.

That said, Accordance should make it easier to spend money on them. Cancelling quarterly updates to the larger packages? Not a good long term plan. Accordance should have both a subscription model and a rental model. Subscription for those of us who want to keep giving them money quarterly for more stuff, and rental for those of us who need a larger library for a period of time and then are willing to let it go.

Please implement these suggestions Oaktree. I've done a lot of business with you.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, rokas said:

no, it's not. Why would you disagree?

An additional welcome screen with some news and ads and a checkbox option "show on startup" wouldn't do much damage and would do much good.

I missed that you said with a check box to turn it off/on. I just don't want any ads at all.

I personally do not like the ads, so I have them turned off in L. Being able to turn it on or off does provide the user the ability to have his/her preference, so it would likely be a good thing, though if you get the newsletter with the sales listed, I am not sure it really adds much to have the ads come up in the software itself.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, Erhard said:

That surprises me. I have never had any issues loading Accordance on my Windows machines, and I have had it on several different ones.

I really like Accordance and the way that it works. In terms of the number of resources - I have Logos 9 Gold and have taken a large number of the resources off my computer because I would not use those particular ones or find their theological viewpoint to be something that I do not care for. I think that it may be helpful to think about what resources you really want to have and then compare the costs and benefits of the software and the resources.

I did happen to finally get it working but only by not trying to load the last workable copy and just closing the box when it asked me were a certain file was. I also had trouble downloading the resources. I click download all and it went through the process but then apparently none of them loaded. When I did it the 2nd time I actually click the boxes instead of just the download all box. I think that happens with Bible software packages. There is a fair bit of stuff that's not wanted or needed. Logos give me quite a bit for the money I paid "I guess" when it comes to Bible software but it was more about unlocking the features. The problem is more me given that I'm all over the place when I'm trying to learn something but I find accordance has a much better set up this way as when I right-click I get to see all the options. I guess we'll see although I was able to get many resources for the money I paid which is unfortunate. The issues going back to 2017 Were not mine personally they were just from posts that I read just that I clarify. Personally have only Had accordance for a very short time, And by short I mean a few days. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems so hopefully I will have no more going forward.

Edited by spikenme