Doing a Greek search with συν prefix variants in Paul (nouns and verbs)

djmorris1984

I would like to know how to do a search of all

1. All Nouns in Paul with the συν(or  συ) prefix attached to nouns

2. All Verbs in Paul with the same συν(or  συ) prefix attached to verbs

A few examples: Romans 8:17 has a few

εἰ δὲ τέκνα, καὶ κληρονόμοι· κληρονόμοι μὲν θεοῦ, συγκληρονόμοι δὲ Χριστοῦ, εἴπερ συμπάσχομεν ἵνα καὶ συνδοξασθῶμεν.

Or Ephesians 2:6

καὶ συνήγειρεν καὶ συνεκάθισεν ἐν τοῖς ἐπουρανίοις ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, 

Because the spelling on the prefixes does change with each one, I am not sure how to do a search.

No problem if I need to do two or more searches on this. I just don't know the string of commands necessary for it!

Thanks for any help anyone has.

Daniel

26 minutes ago, djmorris1984 said:

I would like to know how to do a search of all

1. All Nouns in Paul with the συν(or  συ) prefix attached to nouns

2. All Verbs in Paul with the same συν(or  συ) prefix attached to verbs

A few examples: Romans 8:17 has a few

εἰ δὲ τέκνα, καὶ κληρονόμοι· κληρονόμοι μὲν θεοῦ, συγκληρονόμοι δὲ Χριστοῦ, εἴπερ συμπάσχομεν ἵνα καὶ συνδοξασθῶμεν.

Or Ephesians 2:6

καὶ συνήγειρεν καὶ συνεκάθισεν ἐν τοῖς ἐπουρανίοις ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, 

Because the spelling on the prefixes does change with each one, I am not sure how to do a search.

No problem if I need to do two or more searches on this. I just don't know the string of commands necessary for it!

Thanks for any help anyone has.

Daniel

It's not too difficult to get the basic data you're looking for. Just put this into the search window:

συν* <OR> συμ* <OR> συσ* <OR> συγ* [RANGE Rom-Phlm]

That gives a list of 180 different words. There are a number of them that you're probably not interested in (I believe your looking for words that express the idea of union with Christ), e.g., σύνεσις, συμβαίνω, etc., so you'll perhaps want to make a list of the words you want to retain, then redo the search. But this will get you started. Hope that helps.

Edited by Donald Cobb

Yes, that’s exactly right, the kind of search I want to do. I realize that the search command is not so difficult, but I’m still a new user to Accordance.

Thanks again!

Daniel

Try this search:

+συν [RANGE rom-phlm]

The plus sign means you are search for any word whose root includes συν. You will get more hits since this will include words like ἀσύνετος or ἐπισυναγωγή or μεταξύ that you may not want, but you don't have to worry with the variety of different spellings.

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 3