Jump to content

Can't LINK BrillDAG


A. Smith
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wait, I can't call it that. MSG . . . no, wait . . . The BRILL DICTIONARY!

 

Seriously, I can search the dictionary, but I can't use the LINK command with it as I do my other lexicons. Typically, I have my main lexicons all linked with BDAG (my 'triple-click' lexicon). I can't do that with BrillDAG. I've tried linking it to BDAG and LSJ. Neither works. Any ideas?

 

I should add, the search field is 'greek entry' as it is with my other lexicons.

Edited by A. Smith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, it is a word I know is in BrillDAG (kai, just as a simple test search). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could not link MSG to BDAG either.

 

I wonder if it is related to the use of unicode in MSG. Using the dropdown menu in the MSG (or the Etymological Dictionary) to select other Greek lexicons when there is a Greek word in the entry box does not enter that same word in the tool. E.g. λέγω becomes ΅῍΅̊΅·̈. BDAG to MSG gives λέγω to legw.

 

I also noted that the new Brill tools do not automatically use the Greek polytonic keyboard for search box entry even though that is my setting in preferences. Ι have to switch my system keyboard (MacOS) to use the polytonic.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello A.Smith and Michael,

 

I'm pretty sure as well that the problem is the interface (or lack thereof) between the Accordance Greek scheme and the BrillDAG unicode font. I've found these same issues and others. As you mention Michael, I too have found that if I search on a word in BDAG, then switch the BDAG panel to BrillDAG, the Greek word in the search pane becomes a word with latin characters. So there is still work that needs to be done on this. I would be surprised if all these issues are permanent. All that being said, I am happy to finally have this resource in Accordance! 

 

 

Edited by Donald Cobb
posted too quick!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've submitted the issue with the LINK command and the lack of support for the Greek polytonic keyboard as bug reports. Hope to have a fix for both these issues asap!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying the use of MGS, and it does work pretty well using Live Click. There are a few misses due to analysis of the language. (E.g., πορευομαι in BDAG, but MGS uses πορευω.) I.e., I use the Live Click option instead of the LINK option, and that is mostly working.

The bigger issue I'm seeing in MGS is that so many links to the NT texts are either missing or inaccurate.

  • Links to texts in Romans are missing because MGS thinks "Rom." is just an abbreviation for "Roman." Similarly, MGS thinks "Gal." refers to Galen rather than Galatians, so the links are missing.
  • Links to texts are off. Try this: In MGS, search for Mat 3.17 using Scripture. It says there are 19 exact hits, but only two of them are to Mat 3.17. Further, none of the links actually go to Mat 3.17. (Most go to Mat 2.20 for some reason.)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been reporting some of these for the LXX too

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I improved the NT and OT tagging, but there is still a separate issue with the instant details. We're looking into it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, I got off topic. This original post was about a lexicon LINK issue. The Tagging and Instant Details problems have been solved, but we're still working on the LINK issue. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...