names of Tools

Kristin

I have a question concerning the name of tools, and I am not sure if I should be posting this in General or Tech Support. In any case, I have a tool which is really disorganized. I am exporting the information to a Numbers doc to preserve it, but I am also organizing it at the same time.

As I am doing this, I am realizing the tool is so disorganized that I would be better off just deleting it and re-importing the information in a better fashion. However, I like the name of the Tool.

If I delete the Tool and then recreate a Tool with the same name, will that cause issues? I have run into experiences where I have accidentally created two Notes with the same name, and that HAS been a headache, so I just wanted to make sure that if I delete the Tool first it won't be an issue to call something else by the same name.

I could theoretically just open the tool, select all, delete, and type over it, but from the tiny bit about computers that I know, I think that file would then be larger than if I just started from a new Tool, as each edit adds bits or something.

Thank you for any advice anyone has.

Kristin

To completely remove a tool in  Accordance:

1. Open the Library and find the tool.
  2. With the tool highlighted, right click and choose "Remove Item".
  3.  In the pop-up, select Move to Trash. 
  4. Empty the Trash Can

It will be gone from the hard drive, but will still be on any backup drives or Apple Time Machine images. ;)

—Joseph

Just now, Solly said:

It will be gone from the hard drive, but will still be on any backup drives or Apple Time Machine images. ;)

—Joseph

Hi Joseph,
Thank you for your response. I know how to remove a tool, and I agree with your detailed instructions. :)Given what you said about it being in backups and such, it sounds like you think it is a bad idea to name a new tool the same name. Is that correct?

I have successfully removed tools before, but I have never tried to name a new tool the same thing as an old deleted Tool. So once I remove the tool, can I name a totally new tool the same name as the deleted tool? Or will that confuse the Accordance program?

Thank you for any thoughts you have,

Kristin

If backups, etc. still have a copy, give the new file a new name like filename_ver_2021_9_14 or such to uniquely identify it.

Hi @Solly,

Ok, thanks for your thoughts, and I will go ahead and just create a new name to play it safe.

Take care,

Kristin

Hello @Kristin

Lastly Silas made an improvement for the User Tool names. It shouldn't be a problem with two identical User Tool names. As Accordance now automatic set a number if it finds an existing User Tool with the same name. 

Fabian

• Like 2

Good information to know, Fabian!

Thanks,

—Joseph