Choosing the Accordance Lamp Icon

rgallo

Hello  Developers and Staff

I see we have a new Accordance lamp icon on the dock with our software update.

Here is an idea. Can we choose what icon we want to use instead of only one choice.

For Example:

1 The classic clay color lamp.

2 Somewhere I saw a classic gray color lamp.

3 The new modern lamp. Just in case if some of us who don't like this one.

Three choices would be cool.

Could that feature be put in preferences so we can choose what we want to use.

Thank You

Richard

• Like 1

I'm probably a traditionalist here, but I do prefer the classic logo. So, yes, it would be nice to be able to choose. Just a quick reaction. It certainly won't drive me away from Accordance either way!

Edited by Donald Cobb

59 minutes ago, rgallo said:

Hello  Developers and Staff

I see we have a new Accordance lamp icon on the dock with our software update.

Here is an idea. Can we choose what icon we want to use instead of only one choice.

For Example:

1 The classic clay color lamp.

2 Somewhere I saw a classic gray color lamp.

3 The new modern lamp. Just in case if some of us who don't like this one.

Three choices would be cool.

Could that feature be put in preferences so we can choose what we want to use.

Thank You

Richard

On Mac.

Download the old App. Install it. Click on the Program App, Press Command-I, Copy the Icon. Go to the new App. Paste the Icon on the same place as you have taken it from the old one. 

Problem solved.

Kudos to Accordance for putting a link to current sales and events right on the splash screen. I know the company has been reluctant to do stuff like that in the past, but I welcome it and think it's a good idea.

Ah, Apple... what are we going to do, except complain and keep using their products? Their design interface standards--that every app icon be enclosed in a box now--are silly, in my opinion, but I'm sure if we wait long enough, the old icon style will come back into design fashion!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Abram K-J said:

Ah, Apple... what are we going to do, except complain and keep using their products? Their design interface standards--that every app icon be enclosed in a box now--are silly, in my opinion, but I'm sure if we wait long enough, the old icon style will come back into design fashion!

Oh, I miss those old 3d-like icons with specular reflections. Silicon Graphics and those wonderful workstations brought much of the modern visual capabilities to Apple and other companies. We can certainly have more interesting icons based on the graphics capabilities of the modern hardware. Oh, I would love to play with an IRIS Indigo system again.

—Joseph, drifting off to memory land

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Abram K-J said:

. . . the splash screen . . .

Thank you, Accordance, for giving us the option to suppress the opening splash screen.

• Like 4

I don't think it is so much about the Big Sur style. There are some pretty great icons with lots of attention to detail in the new style (Automator, Voice memos, Contacts, 1Password …). Not only is the look of the new icon rather basic, the Mac version does not even have smooth edges. There are standard tools and templates to create icons. Not a good look for a pro app. 

• Like 1

Some more visually oriented users among us order their applications by icon colour gradient. Changes to app icons really mess with this kind of arrangement. 😭😭😭

• Haha 1

Hello 

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know it was that complicated.

Thanks Fabian for that procedure.

I will stay with the new icon.

Thank You

Richard

On 9/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, Fabian said:

On Mac.

Download the old App. Install it. Click on the Program App, Press Command-I, Copy the Icon. Go to the new App. Paste the Icon on the same place as you have taken it from the old one. 

Problem solved.

Thanks Fabian, there are also a number of older accordance icons on the internet that can be copied and dropped into application-info..

App Accordance 1.png

App Accordance 2.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

I know my opinion is subjective and simply a drop of water in a see of opinions… but, man… the new Icon and the splash screen are a step backwards (visually). The splash screen looks like it belongs to an open-source app for which nobody has the artistic skills to make it pleasing or elegant, as the 13.2.x was...

Good thing the splash screen is optional and the icon is merely instrumental...

• Like 2

I am just curious as I have not noticed anything. From what @Paul Meiklejohn showed above, is the old icon on the top and the newer icon the one on the bottom? Or are they both old? If so, can someone show me a link of the new one? I am just curious, as my icon looks like the top, I think.

I am not personally concerned with any color differences, as long as accordance remains a distinct icon. Something I really dislike about the Mac icons is that the Photo Booth and so-called Music look so similar, I often open Photo Booth just trying to open Music. I might try to use these instructions to change one of those icons. :)

Kristin, they are both older.  Accordance have always tried to keep ther logo in line with apple graphics, which I think is the right decision; even though I probably prefer the older one in this case.

• Like 1

Hi @Michael Hunt and @Paul Meiklejohn,

Thank you both for the clarification. I would have to say I agree with you both and like the old icon better (which I still have until I update...) but I also agree that they are trying to be in line with Apple. (I really dislike the new Apple icons too, btw). I am glad the lamp is still there anyway.

So this will be the NEXT major change for ios then!

😂

44B3CFA9-C927-4EC4-80E7-4BC65D0B8200.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to work out how to stay respectful here. That new icon is a serious mistake that messes with the familiarity and trust built up over years. The red (never ever part of the design) is also aggressive and ugly. I've replaced it with the 'old' logo and am thankful that I can. Please note that the mac users of this product treasure good design.

On 9/15/2021 at 3:36 AM, pjmedia said:

I know my opinion is subjective and simply a drop of water in a see of opinions… but, man… the new Icon and the splash screen are a step backwards (visually). The splash screen looks like it belongs to an open-source app for which nobody has the artistic skills to make it pleasing or elegant, as the 13.2.x was...

Good thing the splash screen is optional and the icon is merely instrumental...

Unfortunately I have to agree. The splash screen doesn't look good at all (laptop image, glitter, italics). It looks like something I could create (=not good), very amateurish and not sleek. 🙃

Untitled.png

On 9/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, Abram K-J said:

Kudos to Accordance for putting a link to current sales and events right on the splash screen. I know the company has been reluctant to do stuff like that in the past, but I welcome it and think it's a good idea.

I champion it as well 👌

On 9/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, ChristianB said:

… the Mac version does not even have smooth edges.

In fairness I have to say that the rough edges are not as obvious on a retina display. But on a non retina display it really shows. This is not the case with other app icons. 

Apple making rounded rectangles part of the "common set of visual attributes" of a proper macOS icon can be criticized. I think it is fair to say that it limits recognizability. But I think this is only part of the story. There are other aspects that play a role in how easy it is to recognize an app icon. One of them are the colors used. 

I think if they would have kept a familiar color palette that would have helped. The simplified shape of the lamp is fine for me. I think it works for the web and iOS. On macOS it would have been nice to add a little more depth though (compare e.g. the Mail icon on iOS and macOS). Of course that takes more time and resources. But it is kind of sad if even long time macOS pro apps don't want to go the extra mile anymore.  

You can read what Apples idea of an macOS icon is here. It's a great read and shows that the rounded rectangle requirement does not mean that your icon can't be unique. 

Dribbble also has some creative examples:
https://dribbble.com/matthewskiles
https://dribbble.com/alexkaessner

https://dribbble.com/shots/13758368-Happy-Days-App-Icon

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

I think if they would have kept a familiar color palette that would have helped.

Here is a version with the new shape and familiar colors and a little depth. A proper designer could do it much better, but you get the idea.

accordance_flame_icon.png

accordance_mac_icon.png

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Here is a version with the new shape and familiar colors and a little depth. A proper designer could do it much better, but you get the idea.

This is a substantial improvement. I do not like the new icon both in design and color choices.  Red is a huge deviation from Accordance's recognizable orange scheme. It does not feel like the same app at all. The icon reminds me too much of the Onsen / Hotsprings symbol (♨️) rather than a lamp:

image.png.f53a5ce966091af100793d2160bd0b1a.png

https://emojipedia.org/hot-springs/

Edited by Spencer