1 John 4:3 in GNT-Sinaiticus and GNT-Alexandrinus

Rex Howe

Is the Accordance text incorrect in GNT-Sinaiticus and GNT -Alexandrinus at 1 John 4:3? Codex 01 here:

5624F875-819A-4BCD-A472-9181EE268623.thumb.jpeg.9356fa6c8cd908cd112ed4873c16983b.jpeg

Codex 02 here:

F17184C6-E69C-45D5-8BF8-E9076D6B7BAD.thumb.jpeg.794b24ae2e50421fce4a4f57772b6ef2.jpeg

Here is the text from the Accordance modules:

E7D6C56A-5A3E-4CA1-BFCA-3C65A092B212.thumb.jpeg.ffa31894e8dbcc455291a15a866e5d2c.jpeg

Hi Rex,

Could you point to the discrepancy precisely ? GNT-SI seems to match codex 1 and GNT-VAT code 2 for John 4:3. I'm not seeing a difference. Which word or words are out of whack ?

thx

D

Sure D. 

• Accordance NA28 - καὶ πᾶν πνεῦμα ὃ μὴ ὁμολογεῖ τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ οὐκ ἔστιν· καὶ τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ τοῦ ἀντιχρίστου ὃ ἀκηκόατε ὅτι ἔρχεται, καὶ νῦν ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ ἐστὶν ἤδη.
  • Accordance Codex 01 - ⲕⲁⲓ ⲧⲟⲩⲧⲟ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ     ⲧⲟ ⲧⲟⲩ ⲁⲛⲧⲓⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲩ     ⲟ ⲁⲕⲏⲕⲟⲁⲙⲉⲛ     ⲟⲧⲓ ⲉⲣⲭⲉⲧⲁⲓ ⲕⲁⲓ     ⲛⲩⲛ ⲉⲛ ⲧⲱ ⲕⲟⲥ     ⲙⲱ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ ⲏⲇⲏ
  • Accordance Codex 02 - ⲕⲁⲓ ⲧⲟⲩⲧⲟ ⲉⲥⲧⲓ̅     ⲧⲟ ⲧⲟⲩ ⲁⲛⲧⲓⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲩ ⲟ ⲁⲕⲏⲕⲟ     ⲁⲧⲁⲓ ⲟⲧⲓ ⲉⲣⲭⲉⲧⲁⲓ ⲕⲁⲓ ⲛⲩⲛ ⲉ̅     ⲧⲱ ⲕⲟⲥⲙⲱ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ ⲏⲇⲏ
  • Accordance Codex 03 - ⲕⲁⲓ ⲡⲁⲛ ⲡⲛⲉⲩⲙⲁ ⲟ ⲙⲏ     ⲟⲙⲟⲗⲟⲅⲉⲓ ⲧⲟⲛ ⲓ̅ⲛ̅ ⲉⲕ ⲧⲟⲩ     ⲑ̅ⲩ̅ ⲟⲩⲕ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ ⲕⲁⲓ ⲧⲟⲩ     ⲧⲟ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ ⲧⲟ ⲧⲟⲩ ⲁⲛⲧⲓ     ⲭⲣⲉⲓⲥⲧⲟⲩ ⲟ ⲁⲕⲏⲕⲟⲁⲧⲉ     ⲟⲧⲓ ⲉⲣⲭⲉⲧⲁⲓ ⲕⲁⲓ ⲛⲩⲛ     ⲉⲛ ⲧⲱ ⲕⲟⲥⲙⲱ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ     ⲏⲇⲏ

I have struck-out the text that is similar in the NA28 and each Codex for 1 John 4:3. However, as the manuscript images and transcriptions from INTF indicate, both 01 and 02 DO include the και παν πνα/πνευμα ο μη ομολογει . . . clause. Maybe the similarity at the end of verse 2 has caused the omission?

—RJH

Ok, I see. I have a user bible I did of the Sinaiticus and I checked that and I have :

1John 4:3  (Sin. 4:3) και παν
 πνα ο μη ομολογει ιν κν εν ϲαρκι εληλυθοτα εκ
 του θυ ουκ εϲτιν
 και τουτο εϲτιν
 το του αντιχριϲτου
 οτι ακηκοαμεν
 οτι ερχεται και
 νυν εν τω κοϲμω εϲτιν ηδη

So as you say, it would appear that text before και τουτο ... is missing in Acc.

Thx

D

Yes, exactly.

I hope I am understanding things correctly, but isn't this just a versification variance?

I.e.,

ⲡⲁⲛ
    ⲡ̅ⲛ̅ⲁ̅ ⲟ ⲟⲙⲟⲗⲟ
    ⲅⲉⲓ ⲓ̅ⲛ̅ ⲭ̅ⲛ̅ ⲉⲛ ⲥⲁⲣ
    ⲕⲓ ⲉⲗⲏⲗⲩⲑⲟⲧⲁ ⲉⲕ
    ⲧⲟⲩ ⲑ̅ⲩ̅ ⲟⲩⲕ ⲉⲥⲧⲓⲛ

is in Sinaiticus in Accordance, but it's part of verse 2 instead of v3.

mgvh, 

Hi there. No, in verse three there is a negation (μη) between the article ο and ομολογει, as well as, other distinguishing features. 

• Like 1

Thank you Mark!