Merge Notes has lost my biggest notes file!

Steve Bishop

I tried merging a smaller User Notes file with my primary User Notes file. Once I did the merge my primary User Notes file has disappeared from my Workspace and does not appear in the Accordance file User Notes in Finder. How can I recover the primary file? Help!

Dropbox will have backup files if you use it. 

Use your browser to log into your dropbox account. On the left side menu you will see the choice to view Deleted Files at the bottom of the list. 

I have used this method in the past to recover Accordance files, and it is a reason I use Dropbox for syncing.

—Joseph

Edited by Solly
Edited to add more information.
  • Thanks 1

Hi @rsb594,

I am sorry to hear this. While I agree with what Solly said above if you use Dropbox, I don't personally use it after I had a similar situation as a result of Dropbox. (After that I turned the Dropbox option off and did not use it again).

That said, there are a few things that come to mind.

1) On your Mac check the trash. If something is actually deleted from Accordance it is placed there and you can restore it.

2) Think of the names of the Notes file you imported to and from. It is possible that instead of the small note file getting merged into the primary note file, it was the other way around. Check and see if the small note file is still in your library and if it has everything.

3) If you did a resent Time Machine backup you can restore it from there, but that would only be practical if your backup is recent. (On a side note, I have learned to do a Time Machine backup before I ever make a major edit.)

4) If none of this works I would not make any further edits to any notes files before contacting Accordance Tech Support directly as they might be able to recover it. Your notes shouldn't just disappear and they have to be somewhere, I think.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

• Thanks 1

Thank you Joseph and Kristin,

I have both Dropbox and a Time Machine external hard drive. I tried downloading older versions to Accordance from both places and it appears in my Accordance file User Notes folder but from my Workspace it still does not appear. I'm going to turn to Tech Support and see if there is something I'm missing.

Thanks so much for your help! I'd forgotten I had either one of the avenues you two suggested so now I'm not freaked out that I lost 13+ years of notes. Huge sigh of relief!

Steve