Allow User Tools to be relocated in the Library

mgvh

I have created a few user tools. They show up in my library under "My Tools," of course. I would like, however, to relocate them to other predefined folders in my library.

REQUEST: Allow User Tool items to be moved to any folder in library.

Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

Hi @mgvh,

I am just curious, why would you want to move them from Tools? What would be the advantage?

I have imported some old resources, e.g., grammars, commentaries, geography, translations, from Archive.org in PDF form. I'd like to move them into the existing grammar, commentaries, translations... folders.

3 hours ago, mgvh said:

I have imported some old resources, e.g., grammars, commentaries, geography, translations, from Archive.org in PDF form. I'd like to move them into the existing grammar, commentaries, translations... folders.

I see, ok, thank you for the clarification. :)

@mgvh Mark have you converted the User Tool to a Regular Tool? Then you are able to: make Highlights, make Notes, etc. Plus you can move them to wherever you want in the Library. You can put it in the "Own Tools" from the Info Pane. It will then pop up if a verse ref is matching. 

But you cannot edit it. If you want to edit the Regular Tool then you have to go to the "Old User Tools" folder an double click it. It will be then in the User Tool section and you can edit it. After you can convert it again. 

Cock-wheel and choose 176404232_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-05um09_13_05.png.1c6e63b4e4a7f1932d48dd19beb8d99d.png

Fabian

• Like 1

Thanks, @Fabian,

I didn't know about the convert to regular tool option.

Unfortunately, that only locates it in "Other Books." It still doesn't allow me to move it anywhere else.

(E.g., I have old public domain Hebrew and Greek grammars that I've imported.)

I believe the default is to place converted user tools into the "Other Books" tool structure category (probably because there is no way to know programmatically what tool category with which to associated a converted user tool).  That said, you could drag tools a converted tool from "Other Books" and place it in any standard Accordance tool category.  BTW:  You can also move tools from any standard tool category to another standard tool category if that is how you see that tool.  Just beware, Accordance treats tools categories differently (e.g. tools listed in the commentary subsection are assumed to be book-chapter-verse based, and hence the info pane will search entries in this category for a focused on verse).  I think this works the way I described, and it may solve your issue.

NOTE:  if you ever use the "Organize all Tools by Category" button at the bottom of Preference->Appearance pane, then the converted tools you have moved to a new category for them will be placed back in the OTHER BOOKS category.  Hence if you do makes significant changes to Accordance Library categories — i.e., adding folder within a Text or Tool categories or moving tools between categories — you may want to back up the directory where the Library structure is stored.  I believe this is the Accordance folder/directory found in [HARD-DRIVE]/Library/Application Support (could also be in the Library directory that is associated with a specific user) but I am NOT referencing the Accordance Files folder/directory found in your Documents folder/directory.  If this is not clear I suggest you call Accordance Support as this directory (folder) is where the Accordance purchased items are stored, and not where User content created items are stored (i.e., the Accordance Files folder/directory in Documents).

ANOTHER solution (not recommended) is to build your on categories in My Group and ignore what Accordance does in its predefined Tool categories.   Yes it a lot of overhead on you, but it also gives you maximum flexibility if the solution above does not wok as I think it does.

• Like 2

I have a user tool that i converted to a regular tool and then moved to a folder along with other accordance modules, so what you’re requesting should be possible. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. To be more specific... I have a public domain Bible text. Imported into My Tools. Converted to regular tool > Goes to Other Books.

What I want is to put in in folder of TEXTS with my other Bibles. This appears to be impossible. (I can move it around to other folders in TOOLS, just not to TEXTS. I can convert a public domain Hebrew grammar to a regular tool and move it into the Grammars.)

Did you use Import User Tool rather than Import Bible Text in the File --> User Files menu? The later I think does what you want. Ask @Fabian. He is the Bible import guru.

• Thanks 1

Texts ≠ Tools. 

To have the text in the Bible section you have to import it as "Imported Bible" (formerly User Bible).  http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win13/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/importing_bibles.htm?TocPath=Digging%20Deeper%7CImporting%20Bibles%7C_____1 

There are some known issues which are still buggy, but it should in 95% work. 

Can I ask you which Text it is?

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Yes, I've used the Import Bible option, but that only works for TXT files. I have a PDF file.

I'll try converting it to text and saving a TXT file.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 9:26 AM, mgvh said:

Yes, I've used the Import Bible option, but that only works for TXT files. I have a PDF file.

I'll try converting it to text and saving a TXT file.

Mark, I’m curious to know if this worked for you.

I think I could... but:

1) One needs an advanced Adobe Reader account ($) to convert a text.

2) The formatting requires so much work to get book names, separate lines for each verse, etc. in order that it isn't worth it.