searching notes

Kristin

I have run into a sort of unusual problem with searching notes. Up until now if I knew the word in a note I was looking for, but couldn't remember the biblical reference where I had attached the note, I could open My Notes as a new tab and search for a word and find it.

However, My Notes file got too large and crashes whenever I try to open it as a new tab, forcing me to divide My Notes into multiple smaller note files.

With that all said, I am now having the problem of needing to guess which note file something is attached to. I can open one note as a new tab and do a key word search, and if it is not there I search the next notes file, which is time consuming and inefficient. Is there a way to do "Research" on all of my notes files to find a word or phrase?

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide.

Sincerely,

Kristin

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for responding to this given no one else has, but I really need some help with this. The problem is that I had a huge note file which I am being forced to split up into a bunch of little notes. Since some of my notes are more recent and more critical to see than others, I started dividing them into "Notes 2020" and "Notes 2021" etc.

However, I just realized that if I want to search for a note about a verse or topic, I need to guess the year I wrote the note in, which is ridiculous. In the "Research" tab I know it shows info on a bunch of books or whatever, is there a way to do something like that where I can search all my notes at once? If not, does anyone have ideas what I can do?

Thank you,

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

I don't use User Notes except for testing features and behaviour so I have a few lying around. They cannot be added to a User Group alas, and thus I cannot see how doing a Research query is possible.  Research All doesn't seem to search Notes files. You cannot LINK between Notes tabs so you cannot have a single tab driving the same query to all of the files. One way you can at least find the file is by opening a Terminal on Mac and going to the ~/Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes directory. The you can use the OS grep utility to look for which files contain the string you want. For example:

[hostname:~/Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes] dsemler% grep "Jesus Christ" *
Binary file Sample notes v2.amynotes matches
Binary file Sample notes.amynotes matches
[hostname:~/Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes] dsemler%

Then you know at least which files to do a more refined search in.

Not very elegant and you need to be familiar with the peculiarities of grep. But otherwise it is a kind of workaround. You could create an OS alias that would simplify it but that would still have to be run from a Terminal. Possibly a Service could be constructed to simplify it and that might help a bit for usability.

I would suggest posting a feature request to add User Notes search support to Research, and support to add Notes files to User Groups.

Thx

D

I hope you can find a workaround in the meantime, but I agree Accordance needs to have a better way to search this. 

Hi @JonathanHuber and @Λύχνις Δαν, thank you both for your responses, and Λύχνις, I am very impressed at your knowledge with Terminal, and no, I am not very familiar with grep. I learned some about it when Fabian taught me how to import a User Bible, but the whole thing was pretty complicated for me. I will for sure post this in the feature request section as you guys suggested.

Take care,
Kristin