Dagesh in resh?

A.D. Riddle

In HMT-W4 and in BHS, Genesis 2:10 begins וְנָהָרּ, with a dagesh in the resh. I do not know if this is an error to report, or if there is some reason behind it. It does not appear in BHQ, and there is no text-critical note for it in either BHS or BHQ. Does anyone know the story behind this?

A.D.

• Like 1

My paper copy of BHS does not have the dagesh. So is this an error?

A.D.

• Like 1

I see it in HMT-W4, but not in BHS-T, BHS ETCBC, HB Anderson-Forbes, or BHQ.

Being a guttural, it should not take a dagesh, and wonder if it is something else (like a mappiq in the letter ה), but I am a neophyte, so perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

It's there in the Leningrad. See below. 

It's not addressed in either GKC or JM.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.51.22 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When I said it appears in BHS, that would be BHS-W4, not BHS-T. You are right—it is not in BHS-T. (Can someone please remind me what BHS-W4 is?)

Thank you for the image. If it's in Leningrad, then I suppose they should have included it in BHQ, since BHQ seeks to be a diplomatic presentation of Leningrad. I do not have a paper copy of BHQ Genesis to check if it is in the printed edition.

A.D.

This page lists several other instances of "unexpected dagesh." I do not know if all of these appear in Leningrad, BHS, BHQ, etc.

https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/natlang/hebrew/hebrew_bible.html

A.D.

9 hours ago, A.D. Riddle said:

When I said it appears in BHS, that would be BHS-W4, not BHS-T. You are right—it is not in BHS-T. (Can someone please remind me what BHS-W4 is?)

The BHS-W4 was the predecessor of our HMT-W4. The BHS-W4 is no longer updated, but there is a free upgrade to the HMT-W4 for all BHS-W4  owners.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:52 PM, A.D. Riddle said:

This page lists several other instances of "unexpected dagesh." I do not know if all of these appear in Leningrad, BHS, BHQ, etc.

https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/natlang/hebrew/hebrew_bible.html

A.D.

Interesting. I was only aware of the three in Proverbs and Ezekiel since J&M's grammar mentions them. at §23a.  Shlomo Bertonov pronounces the qametz before them as chatuf, which indicates that these dagesh were treated as real (since they close the syllable and hence the qametz must be a qametz chatuf). In Ezekiel 16:4 the dagesh is part of the pual identifiers. 
I wonder why BHS skipped over the one in Genesis 2:10? 

Edited by Iconoclaste
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

All we can say, particularly from only black-and-white images of the LC, is there is a dagesh-like mark in the resh. This mark was not necessarily made by the niqqud scribe.

Indeed, looking at line 1 of column 3 of the color image, the interpretation of this mark as dagesh seems unlikely. It is more likely a speck on the vellum:

image.png.a20208edffaf540c747a89f71e28d97a.png

It is perhaps interesting to note that without the color image, and without context (i.e. without knowledge of the "grammar" of cantillation) we might be tempted to interpret the two marks above the nun as zaqef qatan!

• Thanks 1

This dagesh likely stems from the WLC. Indeed it is highlighted in the WLC documentation:

image.png.0d53bf80f7511921a11066c6efff28ff.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Benjamin. This is excellent.

A.D.