Greek apostolic fathers question

Kristin

I was reading the apostolic fathers as an English Greek parallel, and in Phil 12 there is English, but no Greek. I am probably missing something obvious, but if the Greek is missing from these books, where is the English coming from?

Thanks,
Kristin

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-26 um 21.35.49.png

HI Kristin, while I do not pretend to have a lot of knowledge about the Greek fathers. the lightfoot and the Holmes edition both are eclectic of Latin sources and Greek sources. You will find ch 12 of Polycarp to the Philippians in our Latin text

APOSTOLIC FATHERS LATIN Apostolic Fathers (Latin text) (AF-L) Apostolic Fathers, 3rd ed: Greek Texts and English Translations Edited and revised by Michael W. Holmes Copyright ©1992, 1999, 2007 by Michael W. Holmes. All rights reserved. Published by Baker Books, a division of Baker Book House Company P.O. Box 6287; Grand Rapids, MI 49516-6287 Used by permission. Version 2.1    

Confido enim vos bene exercitatos esse in sacris literis, et nihil vos latet; mihi autem non est concessum. Modo, ut his scripturis dictum est, irascimini et nolite peccare, et sol non occidat super iracundiam vestram. Beatus, qui meminerit; quod ego credo esse in vobis.

Deus autem et pater domini nostri Iesu Christi et ipse sempiternus pontifex, ⸂dei filius⸃ Iesus Christus, aedificet vos in fide et veritate et in omni mansuetudine et sine iracundia et in patientia et in longanimitate et tolerantia et castitate; et det vobis sortem et partem inter sanctos suos, et nobis vobiscum, et omnibus qui sunt sub caelo, qui credituri sunt in dominum nostrum ⸂et deum⸃ Iesum Christum et in ipsius patrem qui resuscitavit eum a mortuis. Pro omnibus sanctis orate. Orate etiam pro regibus et potestatibus et principibus atque pro persequentibus et odientibus vos et pro inimicis crucis, ut fructus vester manifestus sit in omnibus, ut sitis in illo perfecti. Philippians 12:1–3 AF-L

• Like 1

Hi @Ken Simpson,
Thank you very much for your help and clarification. I actually did not realize that the English was from both the Greek and Latin. Given this, in the future if the Greek is missing I will feel safe in assuming it is translated from the Latin.

Thank you again and for the posted text. :)

Take care,
Kristin

Yes, it looks like there's a gap in the Greek text. I have the print copy of the Holmes edition at home. I'll check when I'm back later today.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

Yes, it looks like there's a gap in the Greek text. I have the print copy of the Holmes edition at home. I'll check when I'm back later today.

It looks like chapters 10-12 are only in Latin & English in the hardcopy. The Apostolic Fathers Latin in Accordance has all 13 chapters of this book in Latin. Here's what Greek looks like in Accordance:

image.thumb.png.c2d1765cacb8d9c0a5366a54484c3c2e.png

• Like 1