1550 Stephanus GNT

Julia Falling

Since the Textus Receptus (GNT-TR) we have in Accordance is adapted from the 1550 Stephanus, making the text conform to the textual choices made my the KJV translators, y'all must have a Stephanus somewhere, right?

Is it possible for us to have an un-adapted, untampered with 1550 Stephanus?  

Pretty please?

Hi Julia,
I am afraid I can't answer the question, but if you do not mind, I am just curious what this is about. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the Greek TR has been modified to match the KJV? What about the Greek TR has been tampered with exactly?

Posted (edited)

In the late 19th century, Scrivener modified a TR so that its Greek conformed to the English of the KJV, reflecting the textual choices made by the KJV translators (see the description of the Logos version here – https://www.logos.com/product/4643/the-new-testament-in-greek).  Some of what we see in the KJV has no textual support from any Greek manuscript, but comes from the Latin Vulgate.  Compare the Greek of the NA28th versus TR at Acts 3:20, and Rev 22:19 for instance (or the NAS95 or ESV to the KJV or NJKV) in the same verses.  The differences are not because the original Greek has differences at those points, but because what you see in the Scrivener TR (like the TR from the Trinitarian Bible Society) at those places comes from the Latin, translated into Greek, and then into English for the KJV and NKJV.

Read the "About this Text" from Accordance –

958446654_ScreenShot2021-08-21at10_00_59PM.jpg.e714a8024a0b62e3636476298b71aa9e.jpg

What we have in Accordance is essentially the Scrivener TR – I don't know whether every single word conforms to Scrivener.

If you want to learn more about this issue, I suggest that you read The King James Only Controversy by James R. White.  It is NOT a bashing of the KJV.  It is a careful, well-documented exposition of the textual differences.  I read the first edition in ahd 90's and the updated edition about a decade later.  Our current pastor, whom we highly respect, recommends White's often.  

EDIT:  One other interesting piece of information:  there are quite a few versions of the TR.  This screen shot is taken from a Daniel B. Wallace Credo class on Textual Criticism.  Note - the Computensian Polyglot is NOT a version of the TR, but has an additional version of a 16th centery GNT.  Dr. Wallace's class is excellent.  I highly recommend it.

1301743752_ScreenShot2021-08-21at10_25_03PM.jpg.64dba80139975855e46409a7024fa939.jpg

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 2

Hi Julia,
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. :) That is all very interesting to know.

Take care,
Kristin