Inexplicable Search results

mgvh

I asked my students to search for all the instances of παραδίδωμι in the Gospel of Mark using NA28 Greek NT.

I wanted to acquaint them w/ a lexeme search and the use of the RANGE command.

I ran the search on my Win 10 w/ Acc 13.2, and I got 20 hits in 19 verses.

A student using 13.2 on a Win machine reported that there were 23 hits in 19 verses. You can see the 23 hits indicated at the upper left.

Cf. the attached screen shot. We are both using NA28. She has the search command correct.

If you count, her results show 20 results.

I cannot figure out why Accordance is reporting 23 hits.

Any ideas?

Acc23 Uses_.png

Edited by mgvh

That screenshot seems to be Windows, not Mac (although hopefully the OS isn't what is making a difference). 

Same search using GNT-28 in Mark on my Mac gave 20 hits on 19 verses.

Accordance ver 13.2.2

NA28-GNT  ver 3.7

4 minutes ago, ScottDF said:

That screenshot seems to be Windows, not Mac (although hopefully the OS isn't what is making a difference). 

Oops. Yes, Windows. Thanks. I updated it.

I wonder if it has to do with counting middle/passive ambiguity more than once. Sometimes an issue with these occurrence discrepancies.

Hi Mark,

I think there was a bug a few months back where hit counts were off. I get what you get on Windows but I run the beta and I wonder if you do. I have a vague recollection of a fix for it in a beta but I really cannot find it so my mind may be playing tricks on me. Below is one I could find but I don't know if this was 13.1 or even 13 for sure. I believe this is related to case of multiple morph tagging on the same word, usually middle and passive.

If you go through the hits and look at ID you see 23 tags for morph, παραδίδoται being double tagged in three cases.

Thx

D

23 minutes ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Hi Mark,

I think there was a bug a few months back where hit counts were off. I get what you get on Windows but I run the beta and I wonder if you do. I have a vague recollection of a fix for it in a beta but I really cannot find it so my mind may be playing tricks on me. Below is one I could find but I don't know if this was 13.1 or even 13 for sure. I believe this is related to case of multiple morph tagging on the same word, usually middle and passive.

If you go through the hits and look at ID you see 23 tags for morph, παραδίδoται being double tagged in three cases.

Thx

D

Ah.. I bet that is indeed it! παραδιδοται has two morph entries:

παραδίδοται paradidotai  παραδίδωμι (παρά, δίδωμι) paradidōmi (para, didōmi)  Verb third singular present middle indicative  
παραδίδοται paradidotai  παραδίδωμι (παρά, δίδωμι) Verb third singular present passive indicative  to deliver, deliver over

Thanks!

I'll check what version my student was using and have her update.