Copyright Considerations for Using Accordance Maps, Timeline, Graphics in Paid Bible Courses

Bodie Quirk

Hello friends!

I wanted to get some guidance about using Accordance's Map, Timeline, and Graphics Modules in paid Bible courses.

Are there any guidelines posted anywhere?

I am a Pastor in CA, and for the past few years I have been creating teaching slides in Keynote for teaching at my church using many of Accordance's incredible graphics resources. I started a Course-Based website about 5 years back called YouCanLearnTheBible.com where I have (off-and-on) archived my teachings as free online courses.

I would like to begin refocusing on creating courses again, and this time I plan on offering both free and premium versions of my courses.

My teaching has been greatly enhanced by by Accordance's wonderful resources, and I want to include my slides that contain maps, the timeline, photos, and graphics that came from my Accordance library, but I do not want to violate any copyright restrictions.

To be clear, I am not making courses using the Accordance software itself, only visuals (screenshots) that I got from Accordance and placed on a Keynote slide.

How would I go about learning what is acceptable use of Accordance for Premium Bible Courses?

Thanks so much!

I believe you're fine by simply including proper attribution, but I'm going to double check for you.

Okay, I got this official policy from the office:

The maps and timelines that you create using the Atlas and Timeline are considered your work, and you are free to use them in any way that you want, though we do appreciate receiving credit. 

All photos and prepared maps in other tools are copyright and may not be published without permission. Fair use in classroom materials etc. is allowed, but they may not be posted on the internet unless their use is clearly restricted to a small user group, and that group is asked not to publish them further. Permission must be requested to use any such images in books or webpages. Some images are copyright to us, others to the photographers or publishers of the work. Each tool does include the copyright information for the included images.

So, I believe that if your online classes are private (restricted to a select few) and not public, you'd be fine.

• Like 1

Wow, this was enormously helpful, thank you!! @R. Mansfield

I absolutely will give credit and even purchase links when used. Thanks also for the details about the images. This is great stuff, thanks a lot.