Text Recommendations

mcarasik

Some new Accordance texts I'd like to see added:

(1) Robert Alter's Bible translation

(2) more of Everett Fox's translation (the "Schocken Bible" for Torah only)

(3) vol. 4 of Context of Scripture

• Like 2

1) So far Robert Alter's publishers aren't releasing his text to Bible Software publishers. But we keep trying.

2) We love Everett Fox, have a great relationship with him, and welcome any new works he has for us.

3) Vol. 4 of Context of Scripture is scheduled to be released this month.

• Like 2

Hi @Mark Allison

I hope it is ok to ask a random question (I am not familiar with the texts in this thread...) but when you said that the publisher isn't releasing text to Bible Software publishers, do you have any idea why? With the world (for better or for worse...) becoming increasingly more digital, only providing a physical version of books seems sort of archaic and a way to miss out on a huge market. Can you understand the logic why some publishers won't computerize material?

I hope it is ok to ask such a pointless question, but I'm just curious.

Kristin

5 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Mark Allison

I hope it is ok to ask a random question (I am not familiar with the texts in this thread...) but when you said that the publisher isn't releasing text to Bible Software publishers, do you have any idea why? With the world (for better or for worse...) becoming increasingly more digital, only providing a physical version of books seems sort of archaic and a way to miss out on a huge market. Can you understand the logic why some publishers won't computerize material?

I hope it is ok to ask such a pointless question, but I'm just curious.

Kristin

Sure, that's a good question. Atler's publishers didn't provide a specific reason for their decision. In my experience it's often the case that publishers want to make as much of a profit from print sales as possible before offering works digitally. In this case, however, it's available for the Kindle, so the publishers aren't completely opposed to making it available digitally. I personally believe that the decision to limit digital offerings is misplaced. As you've said, the world is becoming increasingly digital, and any loss of profit a content publisher might experience by providing their works through other platforms is offset by the volume of sales that happen through companies like Accordance.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

that publishers want to make as much of a profit from print sales as possible before offering works digitally. In this case, however, it's available for the Kindle, so the publishers aren't completely opposed to making it available digitally. 

I see this too. Just look at the BHQ where the print version comes out years before the digitally one. 

• Like 1