Linking English Tools

circuitrider

Another Newbie Question.

I have saved a workspace titled "Reference". In this workspace I have Eastons, Holman Dictionary, ISBE, Naves, and Topical Textbook. I would like for all the references to show results for the search I do in one reference.

I have accomplished this by doing a right click and searching through my favorites, being that I have the "Reference" workspace saved in my favorites. However, when I do this it opens a new "Reference" workspace. So then I have two "Reference" workspaces open.

I have two questions that I think would get me what I am looking for:

1 - Is there a way to open multiple English Tools, i.e., Easton's, ISBE, etc., in a single tab like you would a Bible and Commentaries using something like the Add a Pane option?

2- Is there a way to link all the "like" modules a workspace so that they all show the results for a single search?

Knowing you guys you've already figured out how to do what I am asking. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks!

I have two questions that I think would get me what I am looking for:

1 - Is there a way to open multiple English Tools, i.e., Easton's, ISBE, etc., in a single tab like you would a Bible and Commentaries using something like the Add a Pane option?

2- Is there a way to link all the "like" modules a workspace so that they all show the results for a single search?

You can't do #1, but you can do #2 with the... *drum roll* LINK command found under Search > Enter Command, which substitutes the search argument from the chosen window/tab (a "Select window to link:" window will pop up if you have more than one other tab open).

Note that if a given word/phrase or reference does not appear in one or more of the texts or tools you choose, you will get an error sheet on the first such tab (e.g., if you are searching the Reference fields in an array of OT-only and NT-only reference tools; however, you can set them to search the Scripture field instead, or search both Reference OR Scripture [under More options] to catch the most references).

I think you get the idea...

You cannot put multiple tools into a single tab since that works only for the Search window and others that show Bible text with tools that are ordered by verse reference, so no dictionaries.

However, I think that creating a tool set would go some way towards what you ask. It lets you make a set of any tools you select and either opens or amplifies to them with a single click. Each one opens in a new tab or reuses the tab if it is open and set to the correct search field.

Linking the search arguments as JP suggested is also a possibility.

Remember that you can save any workspace as a favorite or just as a saved window, for future use.

I have accomplished this by doing a right click and searching through my favorites, being that I have the "Reference" workspace saved in my favorites. However, when I do this it opens a new "Reference" workspace. So then I have two "Reference" workspaces open.

Hmm...when I amplify to a favorites workspace, and then amplify to it again, it recycles the workspace, so I only have one "Greek Words" or one "Places" workspace at a time. Not sure what makes for the difference. Interestingly, recycling is turned off in those workspace tabs.

Lorinda

Remember that you can save any workspace as a favorite or just as a saved window, for future use.

Helen what is the difference in saving a workspace and favorite or just as a save window? And what are some benefits of using either or?

Circuit Rider

A "just" saved workspace is saved for future use, but is not added to the favorites menu, and you cannot amplify to it.

A workspace saved as a favorite can be access from the favorites menu, and you can amplify to that workspace. For example, I have a "Greek Word Search" favorites workspace that includes the major Greek texts as well as several lexicons and other Greek Tools. I can highlight a Greek word in my text, and then amplify to my Greek Word Search workspace, where each tab will search for the word I've selected.

I follow the Revised Common Lectionary most of the time in my preaching, and I save a separate workspace for each Sunday in the Christian year. But I don't save those as favorites--my list would quickly become too long to work with.

I save my favorites section for workspaces I want to amplify to and for "template" workspaces. For instance, I have a "sermon prep" favorite that I can call up and customize for the upcoming Sunday. (Although in practice I usually modify the workspace from the week before).

Lorinda

Archived