New computer setup with same

Dustin Battles

I have a new Mac. I know there's a way to set things up using Documents or Accordance Prefs or something, but I can't recall exactly. I've already used Dropbox to sync my session on the other device, but I'm looking for all my resources to be in the exact same place and groups they are on my old computer, same icon sizes and location (which I don't think Dropbox does).

Can someone point me to a step-by-step guide to doing this? 

Hi @Dustin Battles,

If you are moving from a Mac to a Mac, have you tried Time Machine? Time Machine will put everything on your new computer exactly as it had been before.

Great idea! Except when I get a new computer, I try to restore things fresh so as to keep the machine as fast as possible for as long as possible. So that won't work for me. Thanks for suggesting, though.

1 hour ago, Dustin Battles said:

Great idea! Except when I get a new computer, I try to restore things fresh so as to keep the machine as fast as possible for as long as possible. So that won't work for me. Thanks for suggesting, though.

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for your comment, and given what you wrote I would suggest a "manual migration." It is more work, but it is able to do what you are trying to do. I don't work for Mac or anything, but I have done manual migrations before and here are the steps I know:

1 -  To do this, back up your computer to Time Machine like normal.

2 - On your new computer when it asks if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup say "no."

3 -  After you have set up your new computer how you want apart from Accordance, plug in the Time Machine and open it from the Finder. In other words, don't enter it as a Time Machine, but just look at the contents as if it were a flash drive.

4 -  Make sure Accordance is closed.

5 - Open a second Finder on your new Mac and go to your documents.

6 -  From the Finder with Time Machine, find the Accordance stuff you want and drag and drop it into your documents.

7 -  From the second Finder window on your Mac you have open, go to the Library by pressing OPTION --> GO --> LIBRARY -- APPLICATION SUPPORT --> ACCORDANCE

8 - Go to the Library the same way from the first Finder in the Time Machine and drag over the folder in the Library called Accordance. It will have a bunch of sup-folders of preferences.

9 - From the Finder in the Library on your new Mac go to PREFERENCES --> ACCORDANCE PREFERENCES

10 -  From the Finder from Time Machine go there and drag the Accordance Preferences to the other Finder.

I might be wrong, but I think this will capture everything.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

I just recently did this transfer... Mac Air to Mac Pro

1. Copy: User library / Application support / Accordance

2. Copy: user library / Preferences / Accordance preferences

3. Copy: I picked up these two file files from the preference folder as well...
    'com.OakTree.Accordance.Path.txt'.  /  'com.OakTree.Accordance.plist'

4. Copy: User / Documents / Accordance Files

Copied them all over to the same folders on the new computer.

It was totally clean with no need to re-register... worked first time.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

I just recently did this transfer... Mac Air to Mac Pro

1. Copy: User library / Application support / Accordance

2. Copy: user library / Preferences / Accordance preferences

3. Copy: I picked up these two file files from the preference folder as well...
    'com.OakTree.Accordance.Path.txt'.  /  'com.OakTree.Accordance.plist'

4. Copy: User / Documents / Accordance Files

Copied them all over to the same folders on the new computer.

It was totally clean with no need to re-register... worked first time.

That works perfectly, Paul! Thank you!

• Like 1