The Old Testament Use of the Old Testament by Gary Schnittjer

Ben Gladd

Accordance would benefit from offering this terrific source from Zondervan. There's nothing like it on the market (!) and it would work well in a digital format.

41KechThiuL._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 6

If we can keep it all the prompts on one thread, it may get more attention.

HERE is previous one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im guessing from its title is a christian work and couldnt see much info on the zondervan site so does anyone know if it includes the apocrypha?

On 9/26/2021 at 8:53 AM, ukfraser said:

Im guessing from its title is a christian work and couldnt see much info on the zondervan site so does anyone know if it includes the apocrypha?

Schnittjer did his degree work at Dallas Theol, so I'm assuming Xn as well. The book, however, can't really be described as Xn or non-Xn. He stays within the realm of the Hebrew Bible, and the book is even ordered according to the Tanakh order of books. There are a few references to apocryphal and pseudepigrapha, but they are not systematically covered.

You can also check his website for the book: https://otuseofot.com/

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many many Thanks for the link, very interesting podcast!
+1 for the book, sounds a great resource to have and looking forward to getting it in accordance with all the links!

(im getting a bit sensitive to seeing the label OT these days.)

• 1 month later...

Perhaps some Zondervan reps at ETS would be open to negotiating the digital rights to this for Accordance. I see this as a fitting companion volume to the Carson-Beale Commentary on the NT Use of the OT, which I love using in Accordance.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in 🙂

I’ve seen it and this review in Amazon really nails it:

After reading the samples and reading some reviews I decided not to buy it.  Taken from Amazon:

Academic Work from a Western Perspective

Reviewed in the United States on August 25, 2021

“After reading the introduction and reviewing portions of this book, it doesn't appear to be so much about biblical depth as superficial literary, possible theological, analysis. It may be comprehensive in that it covers the entire Old Testament. However, not so much in its interpretative approach culturally, historically, or socially. The OT is referenced as "Israel's Scripture" and suggests the OT isn't as substantial to NT interpretation or theological systems for the Non-Hebrew. The language is on par with under/grad level scholarship. In other words, it is technically dense reading. Furthermore, the focus isn't working so much in or with Hebraic thought as much as a crossword approach to Hebrew word connections. It is comparable to touring the Holy Land with a Western Christian as a guide. Overall, I see this working as a starting point for Western Christians/Scholars toward the language literature familiarity. In my opinion, this doesn't qualify as an interpretative resource but is good for informative purposes. In my opinion, this work barely qualifies as an interpretative resource but is good for informative purposes, even if the information is biased and westernized. A Lexicon and Concordance would likely provide more pertinent and accurate information. While probably very useful for some, I do not see this serving the purpose of lay or personal spiritual development.”

This review might be subjective, but it’s right on point so the book wouldn’t be useful, to me at least.

Ps. I’d be interested in hearing how much and how those who bought it are actually using it, if they’re really using it. It looks like one of those resources most people buy just to have it as an every once in a blue moon reference.