Question: Notes and Resource Updates

Kitschlane

Does anybody know whether or not new updates on tools, resources, or Bibles wipes off any previous notes made on them. If, for example, I add a whole host of notes to a commentary or Bible, will a new update to it "erase" all my previous notes? Is there a way in Accordance to back them up prior to installing a new update? Or, is the program "intelligent" to just make the appropriate changes in resource text while avoiding the notes portion of the resource?

Hi @Kitschlane, if I am understanding your question correctly you should be fine. I have several Notes and Tools with references. Updating biblical or other texts has never caused issues.

Concerning backups, if you have any Notes or Tools which are critical, I highly recommend regularly backing them up. I back up my Accordance Notes and Tools to an external drive every day.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

17 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Kitschlane, if I am understanding your question correctly you should be fine. I have several Notes and Tools with references. Updating biblical or other texts has never caused issues.

Concerning backups, if you have any Notes or Tools which are critical, I highly recommend regularly backing them up. I back up my Accordance Notes and Tools to an external drive every day.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

Thanks for your response Kristin,

I think you answer my question. I think what I am really asking is this:

• Does the notes portion that we add to Bibles and other resources occupy a different data "layer" than the resource itself? So, if I am adding a note in the right hand margin of my Bible text or commentary and save it, and then a new update comes out for that Bible or commentary do the notes remain untouched? I think the answer is yes because they do operate separately even though they seem to be combined. This makes sense because when one clicks on their notes a separate tab automatically opens up next to the resource.

Hope this wasn't confusing...thanks again Kristin for your help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kitschlane said:

... Does the notes portion that we add to Bibles and other resources occupy a different data "layer" than the resource itself?...

Hi Kitschlane,

I am glad my response was helpful, and yes, thinking of the notes a different "layer" is a good way to think of it. :) They are attached to verse references. So even if the biblical text updates, as long as the verse numbers remain the same it should not be an issue.

Take care,

Kristin

On 7/30/2021 at 1:29 PM, Kristin said:

Hi Kitschlane,

I am glad my response was helpful, and yes, thinking of the notes a different "layer" is a good way to think of it. :) They are attached to verse references. So even if the biblical text updates, as long as the verse numbers remain the same it should not be an issue.

Take care,

Kristin

I am glad I asked because the recent updates were to my Bible texts and I would have been reluctant to download. However, it was as you said and my notes (and highlights I might add) remained untouched as they are part of separate "layer"! This may seem like a non-sequitur to people who know about writing programs and makes sense now that I think about it, but sometimes one doesn't know for sure until they ask, so... 

Thanks again Kristin for your help and God Bless you.

• Like 1