What Does "Usage" Mean in the "About" Window?

Martin Z

Mine show "82.36" usage.

Can anyone comment on that?

image.png.3d731c8502a48481dd6bfc710ab79809.png

I've often wondered... 🤔

According to the help documentation: "Usage shows the percent of time spent over the prior 6 months being active in Accordance."

• Thanks 1

From Accordance Help:

Usage shows the percent of time spent over the prior 6 months being active in Accordance.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @Mark Allison and @R. Mansfield.

So 82.36 means my Accordance has been active 82.36% of time in the past 6 month? Given the high percentage, I suppose it includes the time when Accordance just sits in the background? I don't know how useful this information is. Any ideas?

Treat it like an Xbox gamer score with bragging rights and all that entails 😉 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, martinacc said:

Thanks, @Mark Allison and @R. Mansfield.

So 82.36 means my Accordance has been active 82.36% of time in the past 6 month? Given the high percentage, I suppose it includes the time when Accordance just sits in the background? I don't know how useful this information is. Any ideas?

Yes, according to our developers, Usage "is not super straightforward, but related to a rolling percentage of the time spent in Accordance."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...

Can I assume that I'm seeing a usage greater than 100% because I've had Accordance installed for less than six months (and, somehow, that six-month period is hard-coded in the calculation)? Or is it a bug that should be reported?

accordance-about-usage.png

53 minutes ago, Steven S said:

Can I assume that I'm seeing a usage greater than 100% because I've had Accordance installed for less than six months (and, somehow, that six-month period is hard-coded in the calculation)? Or is it a bug that should be reported?

accordance-about-usage.png

I guess not, otherwise my Mac would blow up.

@Steven S, that can't be the explanation as I have over 100 too and I've owned Accordance for years. I do, now feel pretty proud of that number though @R. Mansfield!! 🤣😂

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.29.14 AM.png

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 1

Certainly interesting, mine is way higher too

image.png.2124233548456b3a53aec2c78937c2d6.png

Thanks @Tim Hall and @Erhard for the additional data points showing my theory is incorrect.

I guess my next question for the Accordance team then is, Am I defining the term "percentage" too strictly, and that it is not actually restricted to the range [0,100] (where this looser definition may possibly be suggested in Mark Allison's quote above from the developers that it is "related to a rolling percentage")? Or is it simply a bug in the calculation?

Maybe it is that you spent 82% more time recently than the previous 6 months or that you are using Accordance more than you did a while ago if you have not had it installed that long. That would make sense for my number since I use it more in the cold months. It might be trying to entice you to use Accordance more to get a higher score 🙂