Question about linking English Bible with Greek/Hebrew

girotti1

Hello, I've been using freebie bible tools for years for doing bible study and sermon prep. But I am a newbie with Accordance - just bought Accordance 13, Triple Discoverer collection, along with one extra commentary resource. Very much looking forward to digging in.

Question: I want to have a selected English bible open in a left side zone, and have a Greek/Hebrew lexicon/dictionary open in a right side zone, and link them together such that, when I click on any English word in the bible text, the Grk/Heb tool on the right displays the word in Grk/Heb, shades of meaning of the word and how it's translated everywhere else in that bible.  How exactly would I get that set up in a workspace?

Related: And where in Accordance support is the best place to go to find 1-min videos or articles like this question on "How would I..." for beginners?

Thanks much,

Tom G

Hi girotti,

If I am understanding correctly, you want to display and English text and a Greek lexicon, but not have the Greek open. Is this correct? Open an English text linked to Strongs (such as ESVS) and then if you triple click on a word the lexicon you have set will appear on the right side.

When you click a new word, the lexicon will change. I have BDAG set to my Greek and Mounce set to English, but you can change this in preferences. I will attach a screenshot of what happens when I triple click "Inasmuch" in case it is helpful.

Concerning videos, up on the very top of Accordance next to "Help" you can find "Tutorials" which displays videos. If you don't see this, you can add it by right clicking the toolbar and adding it. Both the "Tutorials" and "Help" sections may provide info you are looking for.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

1900812461_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-18um13_19_22.thumb.png.662ad0fe59c0dfb5aee3f93cfccbd9ee.png

Thank you both for responding, appreciate the help. 😀

Here is what I am wanting to show up in the right window when I click the English word in the bible in the left window:

The Greek/Heb word

Strong's number

Transliteration of Greek/Heb word into English

Various shades of meaning of the Greek/Heb word

Various ways the Greek/Heb word is translated into English in the bible version on the left.

Do you have a suggested step by step for getting this set up?

Thank you,

Tom G

Do you have:

MOUNCE GREEK DICTIONARY Mounce Concise Greek-English Dictionary of the New Testament (Mounce Greek Dictionary) edited by William D. Mounce with Rick D. Bennett, Jr. Copyright © 2011 by William D. Mounce http://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary All rights reserved. Greek Strong's Audio pronunciation, Open Source Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 4.5  

KOHLENBERGER/MOUNCE HEBREW Kohlenberger/Mounce Concise Hebrew-Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament (KM Hebrew Dictionary) John R. Kohlenberger III, Editor William D. Mounce, Editor Copyright © 2012 by William D. Mounce http://www.teknia.com Originally derived from The Hebrew-English Concordance to the Old Testament by John R. Kohlengerger, III. Used by Permission All rights reserved. Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 3.3

These two resources do what you want with a triple click on the English word. 

Hello Solly,

Yes, I have those two resources, thanks.  Being brand new to Accordance - how exactly would I set it up so that a click (or triple click??) on the English bible word would bring up those particular resources?

Thanks

Tom G

You may be already set up. With the ESVS or other keyed text open, just do a rapid left click three times in a row on a word of interest  and see if the Mounce/Kohlenbetger lexicon opens. If I remember correctly, it should be the default setting for the ESVS text. 

—Joseph