UBS Deuterocanonical Handbooks Set

Fabian

This does look interesting, since there are not a lot of resources for the deuterocanonical books. The focus is on the meaning of the text and on how to translate it.

I am a bit puzzled by the fact that UBS handbooks tend not to use words in the original languages: isn’t it safe to assume that translators are familiar with the original languages?

This is a perfect example of something I would probably never buy in hard copy, but I'd most certainly buy an Accordance version, and it would be near the top of my wish list. Looks like it even covers 4 Maccabees and 2 Esdras...very impressive!

20 hours ago, jlm said:

I am a bit puzzled by the fact that UBS handbooks tend not to use words in the original languages: isn’t it safe to assume that translators are familiar with the original languages?

Actually, the series is specifically for translators who have limited training in biblical languages. A lot of missionaries, for instance, are tasked with creating translations in a native language. This series is designed to delve into the nuances of the Hebrew and Greek and keep them from simply paraphrasing an existing English translation. The perhaps unintended result is that the series turns out to be fairly helpful even for those who have studied original languages--assuming you can put up with the transliteration. 

• Like 2