Change notation to John 3.16 (as well as 3:16 / 3,16)

Andrew Patterson

Howdy! I'm fairly new to Accordance and I absolutely am loving it! One of my favorite parts is how well it integrates with my current usage of Biblical notation...with one exception (one thing you lack!): My typical notation is "Gen 1.26" rather than the more common (American) "Gen 1:26" or the European "Gen 1,26". Both of the latter are available as displayable notations; the searches and hyperlinks accept all three.

Would it be possible to add in a setting to switch to this style notation (John 3.16) for display/copying as well?

Also, I'm curious if anyone else uses the period--instead of colon or comma--or if it's just me. Thanks, y'all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Patterson said:

Howdy! I'm fairly new to Accordance and I absolutely am loving it! One of my favorite parts is how well it integrates with my current usage of Biblical notation...with one exception (one thing you lack!): My typical notation is "Gen 1.26" rather than the more common (American) "Gen 1:26" or the European "Gen 1,26". Both of the latter are available as displayable notations; the searches and hyperlinks accept all three.

Would it be possible to add in a setting to switch to this style notation (John 3.16) for display/copying as well?

Also, I'm curious if anyone else uses the period--instead of colon or comma--or if it's just me. Thanks, y'all!

Similar requests have been made in the past. I would love to be able to change notation systems for copying references into Word, etc. documents. I'm constantly switching between the three in writing articles (in French, depending on the editors, it's either 3.16 or 3,16 !). So yes, please some way of personalizing preferences!

I use the comma. Because the period has another function. For example John 3,16.17.23. The period represents and "and". 

You can use a period for display and export.

Edit > Preferences > Text Display

Under References > Format, choose "Use decimal verse divider"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fabian said:

I use the comma. Because the period has another function. For example John 3,16.17.23. The period represents and "and". 

Italian uses the comma and period on the same way: Giovanni 3,16.17.23. Perhaps this could be made to depend on the localization. I wonder if the use of comma and period in Scripture references corresponds to their use in numerals: English 1,034.78 = Italian 1.034,78.

3 hours ago, mgvh said:

Whaddaya know, you're right! Thanks, friend. I knew I should have asked in the general forum first.

Perhaps my new request then is that this setting is moved to

• Preferences > Appearance > Text Appearance

next to the "Use European verse notation" option. Just so it's a bit easier to find.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mgvh said:

Interestingly, this is grayed out when I open text display. I can't see any obvious reason for that...

2 minutes ago, Donald Cobb said:

Interestingly, this is grayed out when I open text display. I can't see any obvious reason for that...

I found this also just out, but I know why. The reason IS the European Verse Notation. If you use the European Verse Notation then the period has the "and" function and it would be collide if you have Matt. 1.1.2.5

European Matt 1,1.2.5

English colon Matt 1:1,2,5

English period Matt 1.1,2,5

Short answer: It is by purpose to not collide with the different functions of . and , 

It works now perfect, since I have wrote many post in the past to explain how the European Verse Notation should work in Accordance. Please don't bring them not in a mess now. 

But I can see the reason for this request.

7 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

Whaddaya know, you're right! Thanks, friend. I knew I should have asked in the general forum first.

Perhaps my new request then is that this setting is moved to

• Preferences > Appearance > Text Appearance

next to the "Use European verse notation" option. Just so it's a bit easier to find.

Fabian

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fabian said:

I found this also just out, but I know why. The reason IS the European Verse Notation. If you use the European Verse Notation then the period has the "and" function and it would be collide if you have Matt. 1.1.2.5

European Matt 1,1.2.5

English colon Matt 1:1,2,5

English period Matt 1.1,2,5

Short answer: It is by purpose to not collide with the different functions of . and , 

It works now perfect, since I have wrote many post in the past to explain how the European Verse Notation should work in Accordance. Please don't bring them not in a mess now. 

But I can see the reason for this request.

Fabian

And yet...

Ok, I see that when I have the European annotation checked, it grays out the decimal verse divider. BUT, when I go to appearance, turn off the European system, record the changes, then open up settings again, go to text display (does all this seem complicated?), click on decimal settings, then save, it still doesn't give me 3.16. What am I missing? 

Oyvé! Accordance, can't we have ONE place where we can set up our verse notation settings and personalize it according to local needs? That would be one small step for the programmers, one huge step for Accordance users! Thanks!!!!😀

• Like 2