New International Commentary of the NT / OT

eric in redding

It looks like Accordance offers several other commentary series published by Eerdmans (Pillar, NIGTC), but I do not see the New International Commentary of the NT / OT series. Am I missing it? If it is not available yet, is it planned? Or is there any discussion on the possibility between Eerdmans and Accordance for making it available?

It looks like Accordance offers several other commentary series published by Eerdmans (Pillar, NIGTC), but I do not see the New International Commentary of the NT / OT series. Am I missing it? If it is not available yet, is it planned? Or is there any discussion on the possibility between Eerdmans and Accordance for making it available?

Some time ago I was able to have some direct contact with the someone at Eerdmans about making this resource available for Accordance and I believe it is just simply a matter of them not releasing it for electronic distribution to anyone at this point. It sounded like they were not in a hurry to get this one out there electronically. The individual there did not say when or even if they would license it. That communication was a few months ago and maybe the folks at Oak Tree have had more success is convincing them to license it. My advice is to kindly press Eerdmans for it and then pray...real hard! This is definitely one I would love to have.

Do you have a name or email address of someone to contact there? Preferably someone who is involved in the decision making process ;)

I believe that they are now in the process of negotiating licenses for these works, so I m not sure there is anything to be gained by pressing them on the matter.

Another Bible software program has this series in Pre-Publication which seems to indicate that they are now licensing for electronic release. I'm sure that we'll see it on Accordance once they get that worked out!

Yes, we also hope to negotiate a contract with Eerdmans. They were unwilling even to discuss it for a long time.

• 2 months later...
Yes, we also hope to negotiate a contract with Eerdmans. They were unwilling even to discuss it for a long time.

Just curious if any progress is being made on negotiating with Eerdmans on this set?

• 1 year later...

The current sale on commentaries has me looking at and comparing commentaries. Of course, this led to the discovery of the New International Commentary.

Has there been any update on getting this licensed? Thanks.

It is in production now, should only be a matter of weeks.

That is excellent. I was going to ask whether there was any likelihood of these commentaries coming to Accordance. Yet more things to look forward to :)

That's great news. Thanks!

Helen, I'm glad you notified us. I purchased Logos a few months ago with the thought of purchasing NICOT and NICNT (about the only reason) - yet, wishing Accordance had it. Now I don't have to do that (though they contacted me with a special offer) - I can blow my book budget for this year with one purchase :)

Will you be offering a super special discount on it? Would love to be able to buy the whole thing. This is incredible. Now why in the world did I purchase a small Logos package after all? Thank you for the heads up!!!!!

That is such great news! Not for my wallet of course.

Helen, I'm glad you notified us. I purchased Logos a few months ago with the thought of purchasing NICOT and NICNT (about the only reason) - yet, wishing Accordance had it. Now I don't have to do that (though they contacted me with a special offer) - I can blow my book budget for this year with one purchase :)

Will you be offering a super special discount on it? Would love to be able to buy the whole thing. This is incredible. Now why in the world did I purchase a small Logos package after all? Thank you for the heads up!!!!!

Special discounts almost always come with new products... I think you also get a discount if you are a pastor or seminary student.

-Dan

That would be great. My hermeneutics professor recommended the New International Commentary series very highly. I almost bought it for Logos for Mac 4, as well. I'm glad I held off. I would much prefer to use it on Accordance.

Any chance the set will be split up so as to allow purchasing just a few volumes or sets of volumes?

In other words, will the set be divided by...

1. OT and NT?

2. Book? (sim. to NIGTC, in which each volume can be purchased individually if one so desires)

3. Other ways? (e.g. the gospels, etc.)

I'm glad to see that this is coming to Accordance! Hopefully other sets

Yes, I think New Interpreters is in the pipeline.

As for volumes or smaller sets, they tend not to sell so well. How many people would prefer to buy parts of NICOT/NICNT rather than the entire set?

As for volumes or smaller sets, they tend not to sell so well. How many people would prefer to buy parts of NICOT/NICNT rather than the entire set?

I have always liked the option of buying an individual volume or at least a smaller section of a larger series. Sometimes you need an individual volume for a specific study you are doing at a certain time, yet do not have the money for the whole set.

Helen, you have made my day with this statement. :)

I'm hopeful that both the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible and the New Interpreter's Bible are in the pipeline! Having both of these resources available to me in Accordance would make the software 10x more valuable to my study than it already is!

Looking forward to seeing what releases you all have up your sleeves this year! Keep up the great work.

Hello Helen,

I am so excited about this news as well-and to your question, "How many people would prefer to buy parts of NICOT/NICNT rather than the entire set?," I would add my own desire to purchase individual volumes or collections to prayerfully support that request.

Blessings,

Robert

Oops, I stand corrected! We only have the older Interpreters Bible and Interpreters Bible Dictionary. The good news is that these should be much more affordable than the new materials, which we have not yet been able to license in any case.

For me, economics is the primary driver of my purchasing. If I had the money then I'd spend about $2K or more right now on commentary sets and other things. But in the real world, I can't do that. So, I try to figure 1) how much can I spend and 2) what way of doing things would be the best value. For example, I've been thinking about buying the NAC commentaries. Right now I can't afford the full price for the entire set (even though it's on sale). However, I have resisted buying any of the smaller sets of this series because the value is not as good as buying the whole set all at once. I would probably be more likely to buy the set in pieces if the total of all the pieces equaled the total of the whole set. I understand the advantages of the marketing scheme for not doing it this way, but the bottom line is, you have one customer who has decided not to spend any money on the commentary series because of it. The situation would be the same with NICOT/NICNT. I imagine that the cost for the entire set would be out of my reach for a while and would probably want to buy individual volumes as the need arises (or would buy smaller bundles wherein there is only one volume I need at the time). But even with this I would hesitate if purchasing individual volumes or small groups ended up with me spending several hundred dollars more than the price for the entire set.

I'm sure not all are in my situation, but I'd bet there are many that are (particularly students). I think the smaller groups of volumes would sell better if the value on them would collectively add up to the value of the entire set. Does that make sense?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the wait!. I'm working on NICNT/NICOT as quick as I can

Sorry for the wait!. I'm working on NICNT/NICOT as quick as I can

Archived