Summerfest 2021

R. Mansfield

I thought I'd mention that Summerfest 2021 featuring "artisanal software" is currently going on with discounts on a number of Mac-centric apps. 

Three apps are included that I regularly use and highly recommend: DEVONthink 3 (document management), Mellel (word processor), and Bookends (bibliographic database). I couldn't tell if you actually needed the coupon code or not, but if you do, it's SUMMERFEST2021.

A number of other great apps are discounted at the Summerfest link as well.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick - Mellel is wonderful and I keep meaning to try Devon but am a little worried it is too complicated - how do you find it? I have used Evernote for a long time but found that when you 20K plus notes it slows down to a crawl (on an iMac Pro) which means I have stopped using it - Devon seems to offer a replacement to this?

Any advice

Yes, my path was DEVONthink (DT from here on) to Evernote, and back to DT. I believe you’ll find DT very intuitive, and their documentation is excellent. Initially I switched to Evernote because I could access it on all platforms, and I wanted to be able to get to my content from anywhere. But if you’re talking about PDFs, I’ve never liked how Evernote embeds them instead of keeping them as separate files. Now that DT has capable mobile apps for iPad and iPhone, and all your content can be synced via iCloud, I have found it quite capable for my needs. And the 20,000 notes you mention won’t bog it down. 

I still do some quick (short) notes in AppleNotes, but for instance, my iOS webinar that I led this past Thursday was in DT. I have tens of thousands of PDFs, including full books I’ve scanned, and DT can find content immediately as you start typing. DT has ABBYY Fine Reader built in allowing you to put a searchable layer on top of any static scanned documents. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much!

Bought and already enjoying sorting through thousands of PDFs (when I stopped using Evernote I stored them in Apple Books which is nice for reading but less so for finding anything)

• Like 1

This is an update (and more thanks to Rick)

DEVONthink is not nearly as complex as I feared and though I have only processed 450 pdfs etc. with about 10K to go I have every tagging and identifying feature I could ever use - the search within pdfs lightning fast and the display options for webarchives so so so much better than Evernote and on that score I always thought the Evernote web clipper was unmatched but the DEVONthink Safari plug-in is so much better... I wish I had had to courage to swap ages ago... if you have lots of documents/pdfs/clip lots of web pages then DEVONthink is superb!Screenshot%202021-07-03%20at%2015.19.10.

• Like 1

I purchased DT3 as well for equipment manuals at work and personal used with studies and such at home, it’s great!

One question, are you guys indexing your own file structure from finder or importing everything into the database? Pros and cons?

I'm putting everything into DT3 which is why it takes such a long time but I figure I will get exactly what I want at the end (and I like a project)

I put everything into DT3, too.