Hebrew Word Search

fred ovadia

I am looking on how to search the Hebrew bible for words that contain a letter with Qamas followed by a letter with Dagesh and Sheva.  I searched with the following command                  ( "=?;D?J*" ) but I did not get all the Hebrew words; I only got 8 words.  For example, I did get the word in Exod 15:13, בְעׇזְּךָ֖.  

Hi Fred!  This one was a bit tricky to construct, but is working for me.  In unicode, my search string is:  "=*ָ*ְּ*".  In yehudit characters, this comes out as "=*D*;V*".  One notable difference is where you say "Qamas followed by a letter" - did you mean immediately followed by, or just later in the word?  If you mean immediately, then change the middle asterisk to a question mark:  "=*ָ?ְּ*"  or "=*D?;V*".  However, this search gives the 8 words you likely already found.  What you are missing are the suffixes - when the Sheva is part of the suffix, Accordance won't find it due to the break in grammatical structure. To find those cases, split off the Sheva portion:

"=*ָ?ּ" "=ְ*"  or "=*D?;" "=V*"

I hope this helps!  Let me know if you need any clarification on any part of the search string.

Hi Joel,  I was looking for the "immediately followed" letter.  With your search string, I did find 5 more words.

Can you suggest where I can learn more about Hebrew searches.

Thank you,

Fred