keeping hard copies of content in Accordance

docdave

I was just wondering how many people keep hard copies of the resources they have in Accordance. I am relatively new to Accordance, but there is already some overlap between my digital content and my physical bookshelves. I would estimate that I keep hard copies of maybe 10-15% of the titles I have in Accordance. Usually, I think I want hard copies of books I might want to read 'cover to cover,' whereas I generally prefer Accordance-only versions of things like commentaries. With bibles, I keep a few of my favorite versions in hard copy, but most often I will read and study them in Accordance.

I got rid of some hard copies of things i typically only use on accordance (study bibles and tyndale commentaries) after duplicating them first but found i never used the hard copy.  Some things i have kept as hard copy only( like nt wright) but may well eventually get them as i find it easier to read on ipad but as i already had them found it difficult to justify the expense. Resources i rarely use ive kept as hard copy as its not worth duplicating, but ive hardly looked at them since getting accordance. Going forward, i tend to wait for things to come to accordance and have stopped buying hard copy unless i really want them or they are unlikely to come to accordance. 

however, my wife prefers hard copy and she can lend them to others so we have kept some hard copy as lending resources (tom wright for everyone series in particular). 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I have some core resources I have kept. At my heart i worry about losing technology... that said since i used a bipap at night and my mobility is an electric wheel wheel some disaster is not likely to go well with me.... but core resources in hard cover offers me a sense of peace. besides no good old book smell in electronic format.... lol

-Dan

• Like 2

Speaking as a user, not an employee...

I began using Accordance in 1998. I quickly discovered that once I had reference works like BDAG, BDB, HALOT, AYBD, etc. in Accordance, I never touched the hard copies. Why would I? It was much quicker and more efficient to use the digital equivalents. When I first began using Accordance, I did not plan to buy commentaries. But eventually, I started buying them--probably because of good sale prices. The same thing occurred: once I could access the commentary in Accordance, I never picked up the hard copy again. Eventually I sold or gave away most hard copy resources that were duplicated in Accordance. I've never missed them. 

Having said all that, I still have too many physical books. Some things I will never get rid of. I keep a few favorite series around, but even these don't get touched often if I can access them in Accordance. 

• Like 3

All good arguments above.

I for me I would hold it. Because the Accordance modules often lacks material. Appendixes, images, tables, footnotes, illustrations etc. I have wrote a few times about this. 

• Like 2

I love Accordance...  and I love Kindle... and I buy almost everything in those formats... but I frequently try to acquire hard copies as well as I'm fiscally able.   After working almost 30 years in the software industry, I've watched digital format after format become aged and inaccessible — both media and encoding/document types.  Tape drives? Floppies?  LaserDisc (I had a bunch)? Lotus 1-2-3 or Quattro?  Numerous apps I've bought that have become unsupported and disappear with my data with it (or sadly other Bible software that's no longer with us)?  Shoot, VBS handed out CDs last week and I stared at it trying to figure out what I would do with it because I don't really have a single device anymore that can handle it.  I certainly hope Kindle and Accordance will be around forever, because they are my preferred access to books and for study... but there is only one thing that won't become abandoned and technically locked out of in the future. 

• Like 2

I haven't purchased a hard copy of a book in years—unless it's something that simply isn't available in a digital format. I love the convenience of being able to read a book on my phone, tablet, or computer. With my phone, I love being able to hold any book in one hand for long periods of time. I love being able to read in a dark room without hunting for a flashlight. I love that I can highlight important passages, take notes that are searchable, tap a word I don't know to bring up a dictionary entry, and never have to worry about a flood or fire destroying my library (I've had flooding destroy part of my library, and several friends have had fires completely destroy theirs). I love being able to buy a book and start reading it immediately. I love not having to buy bookshelves, and I love not having to move dozens of boxes of books when I move.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Fabian said:

Accordance modules often lacks material. Appendixes, images, tables, footnotes, illustrations etc. I have wrote a few times about this. 

I don't know of anything released in the last decade or so that's missing content. There were some titles in the early days this was the case for, but we're trying to fill in those gaps.

48 minutes ago, Rich said:

I love Accordance...  and I love Kindle... and I buy almost everything in those formats... but I frequently try to acquire hard copies as well as I'm fiscally able.   After working almost 30 years in the software industry, I've watched digital format after format become aged and inaccessible — both media and encoding/document types.  Tape drives? Floppies?  LaserDisc (I had a bunch)? Lotus 1-2-3 or Quattro?  Numerous apps I've bought that have become unsupported and disappear with my data with it (or sadly other Bible software that's no longer with us)?  Shoot, VBS handed out CDs last week and I stared at it trying to figure out what I would do with it because I don't really have a single device anymore that can handle it.  I certainly hope Kindle and Accordance will be around forever, because they are my preferred access to books and for study... but there is only one thing that won't become abandoned and technically locked out of in the future. 

We should be distinguish between format and media. If you're talking media, Accordance started out on floppy disks, then moved to CDs and DVDs, and now your content is downloaded over the internet. Media type simply doesn't matter because we have always adapted. We're in the best financial shape we've ever been in, so I fully expect to use Accordance via download directly to the chip implant in my brain when I'm in the nursing home one day 😉 

By the way, Quatro Pro is still around (as part of Corel's WordPerfect suite) and even updated for 2021...if you need to access your old files! 

• Like 3

Mark when you get to my age, you'll ALSO enjoy making that font a little bit bigger!!!!

;o) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

We should be distinguish between format and media. If you're talking media, Accordance started out on floppy disks, then moved to CDs and DVDs, and now your content is downloaded over the internet. Media type simply doesn't matter because we have always adapted. We're in the best financial shape we've ever been in, so I fully expect to use Accordance via download directly to the chip implant in my brain when I'm in the nursing home one day 😉 

By the way, Quatro Pro is still around (as part of Corel's WordPerfect suite) and even updated for 2021...if you need to access your old files! 

While there is a difference between format and media, they are both potentially dangerous to the long term access of data — and honestly, I was using media type as an example because it is much easier to relate too, even if it isn't necessarily directly applicable in this case.  Kindle has never come on anything other than bytes distributed over the Internet, so media is really a non-issue these days for modern content (outside of long term archival).

I'm glad to hear that you are in great financial shape.  That protects the multiple thousands of dollars I've spent on Accordance content.   Quattro Pro may have been a poor example, but I can't count how many times I've had to extract data from file formats no longer supported with a binary editor.  The problem is real.  Clearly, it's in my best interest to continue to support Accordance!  :D 

• Like 3

On 6/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, R. Mansfield said:

I don't know of anything released in the last decade or so that's missing content.

Things that are missing or not the same in CJB as in the physical book:

1. Missing page with a Hebrew blessing and translation. It's not traditional liturgy text, so you won't find it anywhere else.
  2. Missing table of contents, which was my personal source for learning the Jewish classification and ordering of Tanakh books, including subdivisions like the  Shneim-‘Asar and the Five Megillot. It also includes a "Christian Old Testament"-based TOC and an alphabetical TOC including both traditional English book names and transliterated Hebrew book names.
  3. Missing Hebrew book names at beginning of books. Any Bible with non-standard book names loses them in Accordance. I realize that this is due to a design decision of Accordance that would require a creative solution to fix.
  4. Missing Torah portion headings within text of Torah
  5. Missing aliyah markers within text of Torah (i - vii and Maftir) - used for multiple readers in synagogue services
  6. Missing Scripture references for Haftarah and "B'rit Hadashah" readings at the end of each Torah portion text
  7. Missing full book names at beginning of books, e.g., "The Good News of Yeshua the Messiah, as Reported by Mattityahu." This is the case with every Bible.
  8. Paragraph indentations and other formatting not as nice or not quite right (e.g. Mark 15:26: "THE KING OF THE JEWS"), though this is not particular to CJB
  9. Missing "'Reverse' Pronouncing Glossary," which is ordered by English names and terms instead of by Hebrew. Yes, the definition text of the regular glossary is searchable, but some people may appreciate being able to browse the words listed all together in English alphabetical order.
  10. Missing "Index of Tanakh Passages Cited in the B'rit Hadashah." Yes, cross references are covered by other Accordance resources, but it's interesting to see a particular author/publisher's perspective by what they choose to include.
  11. Missing introduction page at beginning of "Weekly Scripture Readings for Shabbat and Holidays" section
  12. Missing entire section of "Scripture Readings for the Festivals and Fasts." Since there is no established, predominant Messianic tradition of which NT passages to read for any particular festival or fast, the CJB's suggestions are original and cannot be found anywhere else! The CJB also occasionally makes additions to readings of the Prophets, and once to the Torah readings on Yom Kippur.
  13. Missing entire Maps section, which includes helpful "Index and Key" pages to find particular cities. Again, yes, Accordance has other map resources...
  14. Missing "About the Translator" page
  15. I hope you won't find it pedantic to note the missing title page and copyright page. Should be easy to include.
Edited by Daniel L
  • Like 1

For me the missing content is an Accordance speciality. I saw lastly on the forum of L, they have this problem too. But less often than Accordance. That said: This is why I keep the hard copies. Often I was going to the library (my own or one of the universities in the country I live) to copy a page so I can send it to Mark. So he can correct an error or add missing parts. 

If you keep the printed media you can simply add an image to the correction report!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel L said:

1. Missing page with a Hebrew blessing and translation. It's not traditional liturgy text, so you won't find it anywhere else.
  2. Missing table of contents, which was my personal source for learning the Jewish classification and ordering of Tanakh books, including subdivisions like the  Shneim-‘Asar and the Five Megillot. It also includes a "Christian Old Testament"-based TOC and an alphabetical TOC including both traditional English book names and transliterated Hebrew book names.
  3. Missing Hebrew book names at beginning of books. Any Bible with non-standard book names loses them in Accordance. I realize that this is due to a design decision of Accordance that would require a creative solution to fix.
  5. Missing aliyah markers within text of Torah (i - vii and Maftir) - used for multiple readers in synagogue services
  6. Missing Scripture references for Haftarah and "B'rit Hadashah" readings at the end of each Torah portion text
  7. Missing full book names at beginning of books, e.g., "The Good News of Yeshua the Messiah, as Reported by Mattityahu." This is the case with every Bible.
  8. Paragraph indentations and other formatting not as nice or not quite right (e.g. Mark 15:26: "THE KING OF THE JEWS"), though this is not particular to CJB
  9. Missing "'Reverse' Pronouncing Glossary," which is ordered by English names and terms instead of by Hebrew. Yes, the definition text of the regular glossary is searchable, but some people may appreciate being able to browse the words listed all together in English alphabetical order.
  10. Missing "Index of Tanakh Passages Cited in the B'rit Hadashah." Yes, cross references are covered by other Accordance resources, but it's interesting to see a particular author/publisher's perspective by what they choose to include.
  11. Missing introduction page at beginning of "Weekly Scripture Readings for Shabbat and Holidays" section
  12. Missing entire section of "Scripture Readings for the Festivals and Fasts." Since there is no established, predominant Messianic tradition of which NT passages to read for any particular festival or fast, the CJB's suggestions are original and cannot be found anywhere else! The CJB also occasionally makes additions to readings of the Prophets, and once to the Torah readings on Yom Kippur.
  13. Missing entire Maps section, which includes helpful "Index and Key" pages to find particular cities. Again, yes, Accordance has other map resources...
  15. I hope you won't find it pedantic to note the missing title page and copyright page. Should be easy to include.

For your requirements you better go to Sefaria (free of charge) and other tools. It's fine for Christian stuff but for Rabbinical requirement, I doubt to see here ever something. Accordance is a very good tool for Christianity but can (will?) never be a source for rabbinical Judaism.

And here is currently the Jerusalem book fair, you can buy these books for cheap. Better than any electronic stuff.

• Like 1

planned to say: A is fine for christian stuff

3 hours ago, markusvonkaenel said:

go to Sefaria (free of charge) and other tools. 

Thanks for pointing to this resource. They have a mobile app and have downloaded their library which looks interesting

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Daniel L said:

I believe we released the 1998 edition of the CJB in 2008, so it would definitely fall outside of my "last decade" comment. Also, my print copy of the CJB is packed away (I'm in-between moves), so I can't confirm contents; but I wonder if all the items listed above are in that 1998 edition, or if they were added in the 2016 Complete Jewish Study Bible?

• Like 1

I was flipping through my old 1998 CJB as I wrote my comment to see what was missing.

Actually, I need to clarify some statements from my post. "Missing" items 4, 5, and 6 are in the Notes, but not inline with the text as in the hard copy book.