Synoptic Comparison

Ben Gladd

A significant but relatively unknown tweak of Accordance is the ability to compare the Synoptics with one another. Here I’m comparing Matthew and Luke’s account of the centurion’s confession with Mark. 

If only Accordance would formally make this a feature and others like it! For example, as of now, Accordance only points out the same word used. But it would be terrific if Accordance also pointed out differences in tense, voice, etc. 

I posted about this before, but it didn't receive any traction. If Accordance could simplify this process and make it easier for customers to use, it would go a long way in the classroom and in research.  

2021-06-04 at 9.34 AM.jpeg

• Like 2

It would be nice to have this for the parallel passages in the Old Testament also, e.g., Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Psalms, and parts of the prophets.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I made also in the past some requests. Hopefully in Accordance 14. One of them was to tie the Parallel Feature with other texts and for your case with other Parallels.

BTW the NIV-GKE is an improvement above the NIV-GK you use.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

It would be nice to have this for the parallel passages in the Old Testament also, e.g., Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Psalms, and parts of the prophets.

This may be a bit off topic but im currently looking at the isrealites grumbling/ complaining about thirst and hunger (garlic!) and there is a lot of overlap in exodus and numbers eg ex 16 and num 11 but this then influences duetreonomy (deut 8 ). So this could be useful if it was expanded. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Why not use the Aland gospels parallel or Robertson harmony parallel? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

Why not use the Aland gospels parallel or Robertson harmony parallel? 

Aland simply juxtaposes the passages, whereas this feature compares them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gladd said:

Aland simply juxtaposes the passages, whereas this feature compares them. 

Oh. Ok. I missed that was what you were doing. I see now. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, ukfraser said:

This may be a bit off topic but im currently looking at the isrealites grumbling/ complaining about thirst and hunger (garlic!) and there is a lot of overlap in exodus and numbers eg ex 16 and num 11 but this then influences duetreonomy (deut 8 ). So this could be useful if it was expanded. 

It would be great if we could enter our own verse ranges and ask Accordance to compare them (in the way Ben describes).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

It would be great if we could enter our own verse ranges and ask Accordance to compare them (in the way Ben describes).

Exactly! Comparing texts, as I described above, would prove incredibly important in a variety of uses.