Using Quotation Marks in Research Tab

OSchrock

I stumbled across an oddity. When I run a research search for a single word, I get radically different results if I put that word inside quotation marks compared to no quotation marks. The single-word-in-quotation-marks search seems to only search Bible texts and my tools.  If I search for multiple words inside quotation marks it searches my whole library. Can anyone explain this? Is it a bug or a feature?

It's probably a bug. Quotation marks are used to tell Accordance that you're looking for an inflected form of a word in an original language Text. If you're searching for an English word or phrase, quotation marks are meaningless. Accordance is probably assuming you want an inflected form in a single-word search, so it's limiting its search to Texts (which again, looks like a bug, since it should just ignore the quotes). It seems to be properly ignoring the quotes when they surround a phrase in an English phrase search.

Is there a reason you're wanting to use quotes in your search?

Edited by Mark Allison

12 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Is there a reason you're wanting to use quotes in your search?

Ok, thanks!

The reason I was using quotes in the research tab was because I wanted to find an exact phrase (i.e. "Faith in God") which yielded radically different results if I did not use quotes. Now I realize that was because I had flex search turned on.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you want to see why a research doesn't find a result in a certain module, try copying the same search to that module, and see if it gives an error.