user bible with footnotes?

ChristianB

Hi! 
I am wondering what is the best way to create a custom user bible with footnotes. From what I read in the documentation it does not seem possible other than having the footnotes directly included in the bible text. 
I would prefer to have the footnotes separate, but linked to the bible text … like a reference tool. 
Any pointers?

• Like 1

Create a user notes file specifically for the Bible using the same versification for the notes. It will scroll in parallel. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Create a user notes file specifically for the Bible using the same versification for the notes. It will scroll in parallel. 

Do you say there is NO better solution on 13.2? I ask because I was hoping for.

• This is not practical for 1000s of footnotes. Do do it by hand. Your answer sound the same as Dr. J. once explained how to Edit User Tools, and then only show 2 samples, but not if you have thousands of edits to do. Because Accordance then gets really fast unproductive.
  • It needs the possibility to do it automatic. For example footnotes in a txt file as you have to install which are with simple html tags should create automatic a linked Notes file.
  • The Notes are not linked to the <sup>1</sup> from the Bible text. 
  • The Notes are only for 1 verses, it is not possible to make a note over multiple verses. 
  • I know there are more issues, but it doesn't come to my mind right now. I will add later.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fabian said:
  • This is not practical for 1000s of footnotes. Do do it by hand. Your answer sound the same as Dr. J. once explained how to Edit User Tools, and then only show 2 samples, but not if you have thousands of edits to do. Because Accordance then gets really fast unproductive.
  • It needs the possibility to do it automatic. For example footnotes in a txt file as you have to install which are with simple html tags should create automatic a linked Notes file.

While I agree that User Bible import should have more features and be more robust, in the meantime it’s possible to produce thousands of footnotes from a text file with a script like the one I announced here: 

This does require the user to be fairly technical, and perhaps have some programming skills.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jlm said:

While I agree that User Bible import should have more features and be more robust, in the meantime it’s possible to produce thousands of footnotes from a text file with a script like the one I announced here…

Thanks Jim! That gave me an idea. I think I can do it with some scripting until Accordance provides something better.

I looked a bit into pandoc. I used textutil before. But textutil adds "file:///" to the reference in links. Pandoc looks promising. But I can not get it to use "Helvetica Neue Light" as the font. I use html as my source. I would like to get the styling as close as possible to the default. Unfortunately when using stardardize text display all styling is overwritten including italic and such. 

55 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

I looked a bit into pandoc. I used textutil before. But textutil adds "file:///" to the reference in links. Pandoc looks promising. But I can not get it to use "Helvetica Neue Light" as the font. I use html as my source. I would like to get the styling as close as possible to the default. Unfortunately when using stardardize text display all styling is overwritten including italic and such. 

To get pandoc to use Helvetica Neue Light (for the whole note), you need to use a custom RTF template.

pandoc -D rtf > template.rtf

will print the default template for RTF and save it to "template.rtf".

Open template.rtf with a plain text editor like BBEdit and replace "Helvetica" with "HelveticaNeue-Light" on the first line, so that you get:

{\rtf1\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0 \fswiss HelveticaNeue-Light;}{\f1 Courier;}}

That sets the default font (\f0) to Helvetica Neue Light. Now just use that template when you convert each note:

pandoc my_note.htm --template template.rtf -o my_note.rtf

• Like 1

I got it working. BTW, I think the colon should be before the quotation mark. 

Bildschirmfoto_2021-05-17_um_17_21_46.png

Edited by ChristianB