Changing the default browser that the "Web Browser" function uses in Accordance?

Tony Stinson

I want to use the web browser to open a PDF file in Accordance. "file://path" allows you to open a file on your Mac in a web browser. 

If you do this on Chrome or Brave on macOS, your can actually navigate the structure of a pdf. If you do this on Safari, you only see the contents of the pdf (see attached screen shots).

When you attempt to do this in the web browser function in Accordance, you only see the contents of the PDF. So, I am thinking that the web browser function in Accordance must be based on Safari. I changed my browser preference to Brave (Chrome based), but it still only displays the content of the PDF, not the ability to navigate through it.

I tried importing this PDF as a User Tool, but it crashes during the import (perhaps because of the file size).

So, I am wondering if it is possible to change the default browser engine that Accordance uses in the "Web Browser" function. I looked through the preferences in Accordance, and didn't see that this was possible. Perhaps it is and I don't know how to do it.

I know this is a very specialized use, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony Stinson

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 7.34.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 7.34.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 7.34.27 AM.png

• Like 1

Currently, the internal Accordance browser is a bit more "hard wired" into the program than it would need to be to switch use to a different external browser. 

I can say that PDF import into User Tools should be improved in the next major update so that it will be much more robust. 

I requested the file path or a similar, where you can open a PDF via a path. 

As a work around. Open it in Safari, copy the path from the address bar and then paste it in the address bar in the Accordance Browser.

Tony, it's not possible to change the internal web browser on Mac, sorry.

If you can post a link to the PDF, I will try to figure out why tool import failed and see if I can get it to work in the next release.

Greetings Tony:

I use Windows 10 and the file/path works perfectly for me. I am assuming that Accordance uses Chrome as its browser (thank you Accordance developers!) for the Widows version.  I have included a partial screenshot of a chapter overview of Philippians 3:18-20 to demonstrate what I see. The magnify feature of Accordance is especially helpful when looking at contiguous diagrams of the Greek New Testament.

I tried to import through the "New User Tool." The formatting of the PDF document for the diagrams was not kept in tact. This may be only an issue with the Windows version.

Screenshot5.png

Edited by William Ramey
Add information about User Tool
  • Like 1