Greek construct search help: ἐχω and πίστιν

mgvh

I am doing a comparison of the use of the verb πιστεύω with that of ἐχω with πίστιν as a direct object. ("have faith")

The attached graphic shows the Greek construct search that finds all the results except for one.

I initially just used a standard morphology search looking for the verb ἐχω with πίστιν as an accusative noun. It returned a number of false hits (as one might expect), but one complicated but actual hit is Philemon 5.
... ἀκούων σου τὴν ἀγάπην καὶ τὴν πίστιν, ἣν ἔχεις πρὸς τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν καὶ εἰς πάντας τοὺς ἁγίους

... because I hear of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and for all the saints.

(It's complicated and grammarians argue, but I see it as what may be called a pleonastic chiasm. Paul is complementing Philemon for both his love and faith, but he then specifies it with a clever and eloquent chiasm so that it specifically is referring to faith in the Lord Jesus and love for all the saints. Hence the NRSV (and NET, NIV)  juggles things a big >> "... because I hear of your love for all the saints and your faith toward the Lord Jesus." )

So technically the object of the verb "have" is the relative pronoun (ἣν ), and it refers to having love and faith. I.e., it is an example of "have faith" I would want to find.

I can't figure out how to set up the construct search to get at the direct object which is indirectly referred to through the relative pronoun.

Is that even possible?

Thanks!

havefaith.png

To my knowledge there is no way to assert anything about the referent of a pronoun in this way. You have the same issue with apposition too. It would be really helpful in some queries to be able to do this sort of thing. It would make a really good enhancement, though for some cases (apposition) I don't think the anchor is tagged so that complicates matters.

Thx

D

• Like 3