Vocab by chapter

Helen Cadogan

Hello,

Is it possible to create a vocab list by chapter? Thanks.

To do this you need to restrict your queries with a RANGE command for each chapter, or create user defined search ranges to use. You will need to run a query per chapter and create a set of vocab lists.

* [RANGE john 1]  will get you all the words in John chapter 1.

*@[COUNT -100] [RANGE John 1] will get you all the words occurring few than 100 times in the NT as a whole that appear in John chapter 1.

Once you have that open the Analysis tab and you'll be able to see the word and gloss.

If you want to put these into a flashcard program you'll need to copy the Analysis data out and edit it to prepare it for the flashcard app.

Thx

D

Thanks, Ruby. I went and looked at the various tabs, selected the text I wanted, then did word chart. That got me the data. Next I used LibreOffice and TextEdit to chomp it all into manageable bits, weed out the repeats, saved it as a text file and imported it into iVocabulary. Hebrew, Greek, and Latin are lifelong learning matters. 

Your pathway provides much cleaner, better, and faster results. Thanks much.

Edited by Helen Cadogan

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your answer. That was very helpful. 

I have another question. I am trying to make the full list of words for each chapter in Syriac NT. John 1, for example, has 835 words total, but the number of different words are 179, which means many of those words are used several times. Now, I want to make a list of those 179 different words. I need the list of different words not the total words for each chapter from any given NT book. Do you know how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Gegham

Edited by gegham73

If you set the Analysis tab to be by lexical form rather than inflected form. I no longer recall what the default is but I think it's LEX. You can double check from the gear wheel menu on the Analysis tab and choose Customize Display. You see what is being shown in the display.

Thx

Daniel

Hey Daniel, 

Thanks again. I just noticed that the list in Analytics is the list of those 179 different words not the total words. I wonder if there is a way to convert that list into an organized vocabulary list, not just copying and pasting the list in Analytics.

I mean to turn this

ܐܒܐ_1_0 father = 2

ܐܘܪܚܐ_0 way, road = 1

Into something like this:

ܐܒܐ   father

ܐܘܪܚܐ   way, road

Thanks,

Gegham

At this point you can select the Analytics tab and then go to the File menu and select Save As ... Text File (Plain Text). Then you'll have the text that appears in the Analysis. Then you have to edit out the bits you don't want. The simplest way for one or two cases it to use a text editor to get rid of the junk. I wrote Python code to do this at one point when I was doing this a lot so you could do that too. My code is python if that is useful to you but I've never tried it for Syriac.

Thx

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Daniel,

I really appreciate your help.

As I was working on making Syriac word list on both Accordance and Logos, I found out that Accordance gives a list of different forms  with English glosses and number of occurrence, but the Syriac words are not vocalized. Logos, however, gives a list of vocalized Syriac words with number of occurrence without English gloss. The list from Logos is much longer, which means it doesn't give the list of different forms. I think that list contains various forms of the same root, which accordance doesn't do.

Is it possible to make a word list in Accordance where Syriac words are vocalized, even if it's not a list of different forms?

I don't work with Syriac at all I'm afraid so I know almost nothing about it. By "vocalized" do you mean vowel pointed ? I don't have any texts to try this out with, but one thing you might try on the Analysis tab is to add the INFLECT element to the output instead of LEX and see what that shows - this should show the variant forms. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the vocalization.

Thx

D

Since I have the PESHNT-T module, I tried this out. The inflected forms have vowels, and the lexical forms don't, so you need to add the INFLECT element, as Daniel said. However, I don't see the option to show a gloss for an inflected form, just for a lexical form. So I had to display both INFLECT and LEX, giving something like this:

1178980993_Screenshot2021-05-14at22_03_43.jpg.60ceafbf50087887009efc14c2726ec4.jpg

Thank you both for your help. 

However, I couldn't produce the list you have displayed here. Would you, please, give more detailed instructions of where and how to add INFLECT and LEX so I can get the same list.

Thanks again!

Hi,

In the analysis tab go to the gear wheel menu:

gearwheel.jpg.71bfbc3afc83f31ac5d25a5ee251f611.jpg

then click on that and select Customize Display ...

then you will get :

setanalysisdisplay.jpg.3c50e75e5356c0b7ba407cfd6713b3d0.jpg

Drag the field from the column on the left to the one on the right to add fields to the anaylsis display. Select one in the right hand column and hit delete/backspace to remove it from the display. Hit ok and you should see what you want.

Thx

D

Daniel, 

Thank you so much for the explanation. I learned something important today.

Thanks again!