Can HTML for a user tool contain links to Scripture?

jlm

I tested this, and the answer seems to be no, but I would like confirmation. I'm importing a text that is not in English, so its Scripture references are not properly recognized when I import the HTML as a User Tool. When RTF is imported as User Notes, it can contain links to Scripture, where the link target is something like "Eph. 3:15", so I thought something similar would work with HTML for a User Tool. However, when I make links like this in the HTML and then import it, the links seem to be ignored.

If there really is no way to import text with links to Scripture or Resource links, it looks like the only alternative would be to reformat all the references to look like English Scripture references.

There is. Unfortunately it is not mentioned in the Help Files (Pleas add it) and unfortunately it seems I have deleted the email. 

<a href="accord://read/ESVS#2Kings_1:1">link to a scripture</a>

<a href="accord://read/ESVS#2Kings_1:1">2Könige 1:1</a> if you want a foreign Bible book name. But the encoding must be MacOS Roman.

To a tool

<a href="accord://read/Berit_Olam#2867">link to a tool</a>

But only 2Kings 1:1 should work too.

Edited by Fabian
  • Thanks 1

It's good to know there is a way, although it's not quite as functional as with User Notes. The latter will also accept Scripture and Resource Links, which will preview in Instant Details. With URL links, it seems you only get a preview for a link to a verse or verses in a specific version.

<p>Verse content will appear in Instant Details:
<a href="accord://read/ESVS#2Kings_1:1">2 Re 1, 1</a>.</p>

<a href="accord://read/ESVS?2Kings_1:2-4">2 Re 1, 2–4</a>.</p>

<p>Instant Details will only show the URL, but clicking opens the verse in the default Text:
<a href="accord://read/#2Kings_1:1">2 Re 1, 1</a>.</p>

<p>Instant Details shows ‘Find “7639” in “BDB”’, and clicking opens the resource:
<a href="accord://search/BDB;Strong’s_Number?7639">H7639</a>.</p>

So while a Resource Link to BDB will show the entry in Instant Details, an accord: link for the same search will not show the entry, but only what search would be performed.

I tested the behavior on macOS Accordance 13.1.7.

I also tested on iOS Accordance 3.2.3. On it, no accord: link will preview in Instant Details. Tapping an accord: link in a User Tool always opens the resource.

To my mind, the best solution to this would be for Accordance to treat accord: links in user content that are equivalent to Scripture or Resource links in the same way as regards Instant Details.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jlm said:

It's good to know there is a way, although it's not quite as functional as with User Notes. The latter will also accept Scripture and Resource Links, which will preview in Instant Details. With URL links, it seems you only get a preview for a link to a verse or verses in a specific version.

<a href="accord://read/ESVS#2Kings_1:1">2 Re 1, 1</a>.</p>

<a href="accord://read/ESVS?2Kings_1:2-4">2 Re 1, 2–4</a>.</p>

<p>Instant Details will only show the URL, but clicking opens the verse in the default Text:
<a href="accord://read/#2Kings_1:1">2 Re 1, 1</a>.</p>

<p>Instant Details shows ‘Find “7639” in “BDB”’, and clicking opens the resource:
<a href="accord://search/BDB;Strong’s_Number?7639">H7639</a>.</p>

So while a Resource Link to BDB will show the entry in Instant Details, an accord: link for the same search will not show the entry, but only what search would be performed.

I tested the behavior on macOS Accordance 13.1.7.

I also tested on iOS Accordance 3.2.3. On it, no accord: link will preview in Instant Details. Tapping an accord: link in a User Tool always opens the resource.

To my mind, the best solution to this would be for Accordance to treat accord: links in user content that are equivalent to Scripture or Resource links in the same way as regards Instant Details.

I agree.

I've realized there's a problem with the accord: solution: I can't search for Scripture references linked this way. Since I want to be able to search this User Tool for Scripture, it looks like I'm back to the solution of translating the Scripture references into English. This isn't much harder for me technically than making links, but it will look a bit odd to have English Scripture references in a non-English text.

• Like 1

62185947_Bildschirmfoto2021-04-21um21_30_24.thumb.png.08b518a9e0bc6f859df9c0949da24a54.png

Yes you are correct. 2Könige doesn't show up. But other non existent Bible books in the User Tool and Converted Tool.