inflected search showing wrong results?!?

Schulschlus

inflected.png.32379ccb1c6e1f887120caa26a051555.png

Why do the first two results show up in this? How can I search for exactly אָמַר only? I thought that "" look for exact matches only, including the vowels. (this is from clicking on inflected seach by the way, where I'd expect only the same inflection to be highlighted).

Thanks for the help!

This is strange. Someone from Accordance will have to weigh in here and explain why this is happening. It shouldn't be acting this way. If you set the search to "letters", then start typing in the consonants אמר, Accordance will bring up a range of options for the vocalisation and you can select אָמַר. That will then do a search on "אָמַר=", more or less as Fabian's example shows.  

Search.thumb.jpg.8bb09e5d148cf6ec3520c8725b5d4961.jpg

I hope that can help until the behavior is explained and/or the bug is fixed!

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

I thought this was the normal behaviour. Without an = Accordance will ignore vowel pointing. So you always need equals to search with vowels in a Word search. This is documented in the Greek and Hebrew Searches section of the doc.

From http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/greek_and_hebrew_searches.htm%3FTocPath%3DBiblical%20Research%20and%20Analyses|Work%20with%20Grammatically%20Tagged%20Text|_____3

Accents, breathing marks, vowel points, capital letters, and ending forms are ignored in an Accordance search, unless the exact search with the equal sign is used.

I believe a Letters search currently ignores pointing too but I cannot see that in the doc, except by implication from the above, but it appears to behave that way.

Thx

D

7 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

This is strange. Someone from Accordance will have to weigh in here and explain why this is happening. It shouldn't be acting this way. If you set the search to "letters", then start typing in the consonants אמר, Accordance will bring up a range of options for the vocalisation and you can select אָמַר. That will then do a search on "אָמַר=", more or less as Fabian's example shows.  

Search.thumb.jpg.8bb09e5d148cf6ec3520c8725b5d4961.jpg

I hope that can help until the behavior is explained and/or the bug is fixed!

I didn't realize that the Letters search did this. It's helpful in this case but I would have thought that would have caused issues for Letters searches in general but it looks like it's just doing that because it recognizes that your search term does not include prefixes or suffixes that would normally be treated as separate words. It also seems to preclude a simple letters search for a string of consonants that also happen to match an inflected form.

Thx

D