The Cepher Bible

Florence Dalencour

Would you please include the Cepher Bible by Cepher publishing?  It is great because it has all the original Hebrew names included.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And it includes Enoch, Jubilees and apocrypha.  Plus other non canonical writings.  It would be an awesome addition.

Shalom

• Like 1

With a quick search of the Web, I see this is another controversial translation, whose scholarly basis is questioned. This is the first I’ve heard of it, but translating ספר as “cepher” seems odd, as does the idea that את, the direct object marker, needs to be “restored” in English translation. 

• Like 1

I would like it to have. There is no book of Jubilee in Accordance.

7 minutes ago, Fabian said:

I would like it to have. There is no book of Jubilee in Accordance.

I have the book of Jubilees in the Evans and Charlesworth pseudepigrapha modules.

• Thanks 1

There is also a translation of the book of jubilees in the jewish annotated apocrypha if that is ever added to accordance to complete the set. 

• Like 1

BTW, you can search the Library pane for any book by selecting "Any Category" or "Books:Texts" (click the magnifying glass icon to the left of the Library Search box). 

These are the Texts that contain Jubilees:

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 7.50.07 AM.png

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

Thanks mark but i live in hope that as accordance already has jant and jsb, jaa (together with the translation of jubilees which the printed copy has in addition to the nrsv translation for the other apocrypha books) will be added to the library in the not too distant future. 

;o) 

• Like 2

I'd love to see us get the Jewish Annotated Apocrypha, too. It's an Oxford title, so it should not be too difficult to get.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I mixed it up with the book of Jasher.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to know this about the "translators": "Most of our work was transliteration, rather than translation. The translations were accomplished through Strong's concordance, with cross references to other translation software programs, to the extent that translation was used."

On 4/13/2021 at 12:18 PM, Florence Dalencour said:

Would you please include the Cepher Bible

The creators, on their web site, make a point of not calling their work a "Bible." That's why they chose "Cepher" (sefer). It is not quite anybody's canon, just a collection of ancient books -- an "Eth Cepheriym Library" (their term) -- with lots of eccentric modifications and oddities inspired by their sacred-name ideas.

So this is definitely not a Bible. In the section "How did you choose which books to include?", they actually feel the need to explain why they didn't include "the Mishnahs" (it's not clear whether they mean the Talmuds or the orders of the Mishnah), the works of Josephus, and the Zohar. :huh: