Modern English Dictionary

Dataduffy

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I cannot see in the store any modern English dictionaries.

There are times when reading a lot in Accordance, I find myself reaching for a dictionary. It would be so nice to have something like the Oxford English Dictionary, or the Collins English Dictionary as a module. I know that the Webster dictionary is already there, but I would really appreciate something more modern, and quite happy to pay for it.

It just would be nice to have all the tools within one app.

thanks for the consideration.

John

I know that I can open the Collins website for example, within accordance. However I really like to have everything available for offline study.

Edited by Dataduffy
  • Like 1

I see you list macOS as a platform you use. On the Mac there is a lovely default dictionary I use (with thesaurus and wikipedia links) that is available through Services.

Right click on the lookup word—>scroll to the bottom of the menu to see the Services choice—>click on Services—>choose Look Up in Dictionary

Wikipedia will not work off-line, but the other tabs do if there is an entry that category. 

I do really find this useful in the kind of situation you describe.

Always curious about words,

—Joseph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Solly said:

I see you list macOS as a platform you use. On the Mac there is a lovely default dictionary I use (with thesaurus and wikipedia links) that is available through Services.

Right click on the lookup word—>scroll to the bottom of the menu to see the Services choice—>click on Services—>choose Look Up in Dictionary

Wikipedia will not work off-line, but the other tabs do if there is an entry that category. 

I do really find this useful in the kind of situation you describe.

Always curious about words,

—Joseph

HI Joseph,

Just tried that on the Mac and its great! Thanks for this. 

John