Installation on Mac and Linux (Crossover)

Michael Brennen

Hello,

I am installing Accordance for the first time (Lite for now); I have a Mac Mohave and a Linux Fedora 32 system. I know you do not support the Linux system, which is fine; I am quite knowledgeable and thought to try to install it with the latest version of Crossover, the commercially supported version of Wine.

I installed 13 Lite on the Mac, and that worked.

I tried installing the Windows 12 and 13 versions on Fedora, but neither worked. In 13 the screens were black and the fields/contents could not be read. In 12 it went just past the account login screen and then stopped working; a few black and white windows were open but nothing happened. I think that was the content download screen.

I saw in the forums that 10 has worked on Wine, so I thought to try 11 and perhaps eventually 10. Trying to install v.11 on the Linux system gets to the point of the account login screen; when I click to validate the account, it says “Version 11 is not in the account.” I cannot skip that and continue, so the only option is to stop the installation process. I have not tried 10.

The error sounds like something in Accordance account management rather than a problem with running under Crossover.

I tried 11 on the Mac to see if that would help install 11 on Linux by adding it to the account, but 11 would not run on Mohave; it starts and then closes. I figure it is too old.

I have an idea that 11 will run on the Linux system if I can get it past the account validation check screen. Any ideas what might be happening there?

Thanks,

-- Michael
Edited by Michael Brennen
  • Like 1

Hello Michael

BibleWorks has worked via Crossover on the Mac. This was a arranged between BW and Crossover for the version 9 and 10. But only for Macs which support 32bit apps. BW is no more and Apple supports 32bit apps no more, but one BW user purchased Crossover and tried it. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly with the 64bit only Big Sur. He decided to stay in contact with the developers of Crossover until the bugs are fixed. Now BW 10 runs on Big Sur and on the M1 chip. You can read this on the BW forum. 

What I want to say is: Someone has to jump in and go in contact with Crossover as the person has done for the BW app. (I wrote this a few months ago in this forum, but I can't find it now) It seems Crossover was willing to work until it works and also one BW user had to be patient through the process until it worded fine.

Maybe you are the person? I don't have Linux or Crossover.

I think a big difference with BW is that WINE was their cross-platform strategy, so in developing the program they made sure it didn’t use Windows functionality that WINE couldn’t emulate. So the only major problem was how to get a 32bit executable to run on a 64bit system. OakTree is instead trying to get maximum functionality and performance from Windows without regard for WINE compatibility.

As for that message when trying to install Accordance 11, I think it means you never bought that version. You would have to see if OakTree will sell or give you a license for version 10 or 11.

Edited by jlm

Thanks to both responders. I have decided to become a Crossover "BetterTester" with the particular purpose of trying to get Accordance to operate more cleanly in that environment. Who knows how far it will go, but I am willing to work with it to see what can happen.

Jim, that is more or less how I understood that message. I have a mail in to the support crew, so I'll see what they say.

• Thanks 2