Accordance on Linux possible work around.

Pastor Jonathan

That Windows VM expires in two months. Otherwise, you have to fork over money to Big Tech every month in perpetuity? This is not a solution. We NEED a Linux version.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:20 AM, jstucki said:

I get ScottDF's concerns over privacy, but I am not overly concerned about Bill Gates looking over my shoulder while reading the Bible. It might do him some good.

I get your gallows humor, but the seriousness of the issues at hand cannot be overstated.

• Like 2

Windows in the Cloud = bye bye privacy

2 hours ago, Daniel L said:

I get your gallows humor, but the seriousness of the issues at hand cannot be overstated.

To your second link. I get a side with the following statement "<h1> This site isn't currently available in the EU </h1>"

I forgot about that happening. Some kind of corporate/legal rule, I guess.

Thankfully, somebody found that particular podcast episode important enough to put on YouTube: part 1 and part 2

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

if people are using VM to run Accordance, why not just use Mac OS instead of Windows 10 as your VM?  I think Apple allows people to download their Mac OS for free.  :)  This is something I've been thinking about since learning about Linux Mint and playing with it for a couple of months

Installing Mac OS on non-Apple hardware is against Apple's EULA. It is legal to run Mac OS virtual machines on a Mac, but not otherwise. 

• Like 1

I have an old macbook and have been contemplating installing Linux Mint on it.  But then wanted Accordance to run on it, which brought me to this forum.  Found it interesting.  I've tried to run Windows on my mac via VM (i.e., Virtual Box) and it almost always ran really slow, so I've thought maybe running Mac OS via VM after installing Linux Mint to run Accordance.

There is Crossover for Linux and I know if currently still has some issues.  I am sure that if enough people expressed interest in getting Accordance to work using Crossover and were willing to purchase the product that the programmers would be happy to help.  That would not be unreasonable and then no worries about having to use Windows 🙂  Just a thought.

Steve

• Like 2

I have been hit or miss here, so I will just follow up. 

I did install Linux on my laptop and am using a VM with Accordance. It works ok on the laptop but much quicker and better on my desktop (which is a linux using VM as well). 

The biggest issue is two fold. 

First, on the laptop, it is older so prepare to have a LOT of time downloading and updating stuff. It took me over 15 hours to do so, especially the picture resources. Now, granted my laptop is old and I have done several things to get Oracle to go faster and had sped it up but I am afraid to uninstall and reinstall to test it again. It still is not "blazing" by any stretch but faster. 

Second, sometimes when updating or installing on my desktop, it will crash mid way. I simply restart and it installs it and goes on without a hitch. Works great. It is fast (still a little slower than if installed on a native machine) and effective. 

I found out an answer that I was looking for. If you have multiple screens (which I do), You can set the VM on one screen, use the accordance and then have your host computer on the other screens. This allows you to use both VM and Linux which I do. 

Not sure of security behind that but it seems to be buttoned down tight as the VM does not even detect my plug in stuff such as speakers. 

I will post a few thoughts on the web version thread. 

• Like 1

ETA:

On my Laptop I am using Oracle Virtual Machine. 

On my Desktop I am using Gnome Boxes. 

• 9 months later...

A few months ago I switched from Windows to Linux. At the same time I need to use Accordance and this forces me either to use a Virtual Box (putting stress on the system) or use windows when I need to work with Accordance (creating difficulties with respect to having to coordinate files on different systems).
I am very sorry that the manufacturers of Accordance underestimate so much the amount of linux users and do not show the slightest effort to try to meet the needs of this target users, who have paid a lot of money to use Accordance anyway. 
I also believe, that this in time may also create competitive problems, considering that for example "Logos Biblie" even provides for the use of a web app. 

I hope that soon an inclusive solution can be found for all types of users.

Thank you

Edited by andrea.limoli

@andrea.limoli, thanks for your feedback. We do have a web version of Accordance in the works that hopefully will be available in a few weeks. It is part of our Accordance 14 upgrade. 

The demand for a native Linux version of Accordance is not great enough to justify hiring an entirely new programming team for a minority platform. 

As for whether we are trying "to meet the needs of...target users, who have paid a lot of money to use Accordance...," we have never promised that Accordance will run on Linux. It has never been a target market for us.

• Like 1

For those who have mentioned CrossOver, I have a thread on here where I tried it on a Linux machine under CrossOver. Bottom line was I had to go back to v10 to get it working, and even then, I had a lot of issues with it.

Anything past v10 doesn’t run well on CrossOver.

For those who need the desktop app on Linux, a Windows VM is going to be your best option. Rick’s mention of Accordance Cloud (web based version) will also be great for those who just need to read books and perform some functionality on Linux (plus ChromeBooks, etc).

I had fun during my time on Linux, but I realize the OS has too many variants and just isn’t viable enough for work. For that, I need a Mac.

@Nathan Parker

I saw that thread and was really hoping it would work out.

Everyone,

Since Crossover didnt work, the v14 is buggy, and the VM, while working, is clunky, web base is best for my intents.

I have my own personal feelings toward Accordance and mixed emotions, as well, but if they nail the web service, that will go a long way.

As I mentioned, there are three online Bible tools that I use for their individual strength and if Accordance can nail those three in one, I will be very happy to share with other Linux friends of mine.

I have tasted the freedom of Linux and anything else, to me, is going backward almost. So while I am sorry they are having issues with V14, to me I bought the update for several reasons. These I enumerated on another thread.

On this one, the biggest draw for me WAS the web base. So my true countdown is still counting down. The release was just the initial sign that we are closer. 

• Like 1

The web app will be super useful, and I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

The freedom of Linux was fun. If Accordance was the only app I needed to VM, that’d be one thing, but there were too many apps I either needed to VM, use on CrossOver, or even when finding Linux alternatives for them, I hit limitations. Like Rick Mansfield, I love the idea of Linux, but also like Rick, I have critical apps that I need to use a more “mainstream supported” OS for, and for me, that’s a Mac and iOS.

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

The freedom of Linux was fun. If Accordance was the only app I needed to VM, that’d be one thing, but there were too many apps I either needed to VM, use on CrossOver, or even when finding Linux alternatives for them, I hit limitations. Like Rick Mansfield, I love the idea of Linux, but also like Rick, I have critical apps that I need to use a more “mainstream supported” OS for, and for me, that’s a Mac and iOS.

I hear you. For many, Linux just can't do what is needed. I am a firm believer to use the best tool for the job. For you and Rick, that is the ios. 

My needs are different and Linux fits that bill perfectly. So I would struggle going back to a system that is closed and locked down.

So the major things I need and am looking for on the web:

1) Right click Strong's number search.

2) Word study capability while searching all my resources (like live click): https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon (BLB's is great but not real deep unless you own TWOT, and TDNT. Accordance should do more if possible or this at the least. The new dynamic Word Study would be a cherry on top!)

3) To take, keep and store notes on the server appart from Dropbox: https://netbible.org/bible/Malachi+3 (this is their note system and it is basic but great. I want to save verses, hyper links, maps, pics, notes etc so as to inhance my study and pull all resources I find across the net.).

4. Have access to all my texts as I pull up the Greek and Hebrew. https://www.biblegateway.com (They have the widest list of Bibles, have sync notes based on account, but are shallow on tools such as dictionaries).

If, and I hope they do, Accordance can nail the strength of each of these online resources, we will be cooking!

To have a full funtion of the download as an online base, I would be blown away.

This is what I would like and I am waiting to see. 

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:16 PM, Nathan Parker said:

So how far are we from being able to use the web app? If it’s good, this would make me more likely to shift over to Accordance more frequently for my personal Bible study and sermon prep.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KevinPurcell said:

So how far are we from being able to use the web app? If it’s good, this would make me more likely to shift over to Accordance more frequently for my personal Bible study and sermon prep.

@KevinPurcell,

From what I understand it was soon. Not sure what that is but maybe they are holding back from releasing Beta till they know for sure that it is ready to go.

Edited by Pastor Jonathan