New Resources Not Included in Collections?

Daniel L

Since collections are on sale, this is an important time for this issue to be settled. This past year has seen the introduction of some great new resources, but it doesn't appear that they belong to a collection yet.

Accordance Timeline Expanded Edition - I suggest putting this in Graphics (and Triple) Discoverer since the regular Timeline is part of Graphics Learner.

Targums WordMap (The Equivalent Project) - I suggest putting this in Hebrew Expert or Master.

BHQ Genesis - Should obviously go in Hebrew Master with the rest of the BHQ fascicles. This is not indicated either on the BHQ Genesis page or the Hebrew Master page.

Could a customer actually buy Hebrew Master, thinking he's getting ALL the Hebrew resources, unknowingly miss out on a great product like Targums WordMap or losing the BHQ Genesis fascicle?? It shouldn't be so. Not everyone keeps an eagle eye on new products added throughout the year, and also remembers.

Tyndale House GNT - Here's a web site mistake. On its product page, it shows only Greek Pro for Accordance 13 collections. The pages for Greek Expert and Master do properly show THGNT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Daniel L said:

Could a customer actually buy Hebrew Master, thinking he's getting ALL the Hebrew resources, unknowingly miss out on a great product like Targums WordMap or losing the BHQ Genesis fascicle?? It shouldn't be so. Not everyone keeps an eagle eye on new products added throughout the year, and also remembers.

The Greek and Hebrew Master collections have not been updated since November 2019.

Generally, we update our Collections in conjunction with a major new release. The Collections were last revised to coincide with the release of Accordance 13.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That may be current practice. Looking further back, updates to the Master came once per year, usually in November. I held off on some items, thinking the new Master would be right around the corner.

• Like 1

Here's another vote for actually keeping these up to date.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, R. Mansfield said:

Generally, we update our Collections in conjunction with a major new release. The Collections were last revised to coincide with the release of Accordance 13.

Having such long gaps complicates our purchasing plans, and may be costing you sales. What we are pointing out is that this stale policy is flawed. Please change it. As soon as a product is given a price in your system, it should be assigned to a collection. The collection price could be updated automatically by algorithm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I forgot to mention the new Hebrew Masoretic Text with Andersen-Forbes Morphology and Syntax Database -- also not added to a collection.

I noticed that BHQ Genesis was added to the Hebrew Bible Advanced Add-on bundle (November 2020)... but not to a collection. And MT-AFD was not added to the Advanced Greek & Hebrew Add-on Bundle, as would seem appropriate.

Edited by Daniel L
  • Like 1

Updating a Collection is not as simple as it seems. It's more than a simple algorithm because of royalties, adjusted pricing, etc. In fact, it has to be figured manually, and that includes any Collection that is part of it. This is why we don't update them frequently.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think any algorithmic work directly connected to sales is work with a clear return on investment.

Given this, I assume management has done the math on this and figured it is not worth it. A surprising result.

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2021 at 1:06 PM, R. Mansfield said:

Updating a Collection is not as simple as it seems. It's more than a simple algorithm because of royalties, adjusted pricing, etc. In fact, it has to be figured manually, and that includes any Collection that is part of it. This is why we don't update them frequently.

It seems that publishers are exerting an inordinate amount of control over how OakTree does its business. I think OakTree needs to assertively renegotiate its legal agreements to be fair to itself. And then you can better serve you customers without having external partners overstepping their bounds by intruding into your bundling decisions.

17 hours ago, Daniel L said:

It seems that publishers are exerting an inordinate amount of control over how OakTree does its business. I think OakTree needs to assertively renegotiate its legal agreements to be fair to itself. And then you can better serve you customers without having external partners overstepping their bounds by intruding into your bundling decisions.

For the record, I never suggested that the publishers had an inordinate amount of control over the way we do business. Royalties are just a reality. And they are merely one factor (of many) in updating our Collections, which is more complicated on the back end of things than what it seems to be up front.

• Sad 2