Hit = count of occurrences

bdollahite

Request an option be added to the preferences to define a “hit” as the count of occurrences that match a search’s criteria.

The number of hits to a search (in my opinion) should be the number of finds/occurrences that meet the search criteria.  Accordance does this when one does a phrase search — i.e., the hit count shows the number of times that phrase appears in a text.

Likewise, Accordance does such when one does an OR search (i.e., A <OR> B) returning how many time A or B appears.

However, in an AND search (i.e., A <AND> B) Accordance hits count is not the number of times that A and B appear in the scope and range specified, rather it is the sum of the count of the number of times A appears plus the number of times B appears in the search results that contain both A and B.  For example — limiting the range to 1 Corinthians, and scope to verse and searching for Faith <AND> Hope and in the ESV Accordance reports 1 verse (1Cor 13:13) and 2 hits— but my opinion there is one hit in that search criteria, not two – as neither word by is self is sufficient to met the criteria. 

Another example, when one searches the ESV text with range=1Cor, scope=verse for man <AND>Adam, there is only one verse (1Cor 15:45) whose content meets the search criteria.  In it “Adam” appears twice and “man” appears once, and while Accordance 13.1.5 reports 3 hits, I would expected 2, as there are 2 sets of Adam and man combinations that match this search’s criteria — not three. 

I understand that are 3 words in the range and scope that met the part of the criteria, but meeting part of a criteria to me is not a hit.  That said, for backward compatibility, I am not requesting the current methodology for computing hits be changed, but rather an other be added to search preference to define a hit either a Accordance does today, OR as the number of times a search criteria is met.

Edited by bdollahite
Correct spelling, format, emoji that appeared
  • Like 1

• bdollahite changed the title to Hit = count of occurrences

Not to dismiss your request, but there is a workaround for this.  Any searches defined as a construct do operate as you expect, where the entire search query leads to a single hit, regardless of the number of words present in the query.  See attached picture:

image.png

I have to say that I agree with bdollahite here. The construct search is great, but when you want something "quick and dirty", the search pane is a lot faster. However, in this kind of search, that means you then have to do your math—i.e., divide the number of hits by the number of words used. Which defeats the purpose of a quick search. I would love to see an added option for the number of hits of the word group being searched. This is actually something I come up against on a regular basis in my searches. Thanks!

• Like 1