Search Multiple Bibles

Dewayne Davis

I am sure that saw mention of this somewhere. I have searched and search but just can't find it. Is there a way to search all of my Strong's bibles (ESV, NIV, NASB AND KJV for a specific english word, then have the list in a single list of references? Something similar to the words radio button in the reference window. But not limited to the single translation. For instance, what would be the fasted way to find anywhere in the Strong's bibles where "unmarried" is not translated from "agamos". Thanks.

Sounds like you want to use the Search All feature.

First you need to define a group for your keyed texts.

-Go to the Search all icon (the magnifying glass), click and hold and choose Define Group.

-Click New

-Name your group (e.g. Strong's Bibles)

-Select the desired Bibles (you can command-click to select more than one at a time

-click on the Text>> button above the list to move them all into the right-most column

-Click OK

Now you can select the Strong's Bibles group from this icon. A new tab or window will appear, and you can enter your search criteria.

Lorinda

Once you've defined your Search All Group as Lorinda outlined, the search criteria you would use would be to enter the word you want to find, followed by an at symbol (@), followed by a minus sign (-), followed by the Key item (which you can insert using shift-command-K).

The at symbol indicates that you want to search for words which meet multiple criteria, and the minus sign negates the Key number which follows it.

Thus, to search for unmarried where it is not translating agamos you would enter:

unmarried@-[Key G22]

That will work for the KJVS, ESVS, and NAS95S, because they all use the Strong's numbering system. If the NIV-G/K is included in your group, you will need to exclude the G/K number, which is usually a little different from the Strong's number. In the NIV/GK, agamos is G23, so you would enter:

unmarried@-[Key G22]@-[Key G23]

Hope this helps.

I have already done this. Thank you. But I was trying to figure out how to filter a bible text window to my results.

Sounds like you want to use the Search All feature.

First you need to define a group for your keyed texts.

-Go to the Search all icon (the magnifying glass), click and hold and choose Define Group.

-Click New

-Name your group (e.g. Strong's Bibles)

-Select the desired Bibles (you can command-click to select more than one at a time

-click on the Text>> button above the list to move them all into the right-most column

-Click OK

Now you can select the Strong's Bibles group from this icon. A new tab or window will appear, and you can enter your search criteria.

Lorinda

Thanks you. This is very helpful in finding my results. I did however think that I saw something in one of the video tutorials that filtered the bible version window against multiple bible versions. I think it was while showing how to link windows with the commands. The more I think about it though, I don't see how it would be possible. My thought is that if I found every place an English word is used in any of the Strong's Bibles, I could mouse over each reference to show the greek word automatically highlighted in the parallel window. I don't know if I am making any sense? My results would be similar to what you might find in a Vines Dictionary or Louw and Nida, but live in the text. In other words, the results would be like this, I would have a bible text window open with an English and a Greek bible open. The text would only show the verses that met my search results of all Strong's bible versions. Thanks.

Once you've defined your Search All Group as Lorinda outlined, the search criteria you would use would be to enter the word you want to find, followed by an at symbol (@), followed by a minus sign (-), followed by the Key item (which you can insert using shift-command-K).

The at symbol indicates that you want to search for words which meet multiple criteria, and the minus sign negates the Key number which follows it.

Thus, to search for unmarried where it is not translating agamos you would enter:

unmarried@-[Key G22]

That will work for the KJVS, ESVS, and NAS95S, because they all use the Strong's numbering system. If the NIV-G/K is included in your group, you will need to exclude the G/K number, which is usually a little different from the Strong's number. In the NIV/GK, agamos is G23, so you would enter:

unmarried@-[Key G22]@-[Key G23]

Hope this helps.

Dewayne, you're talking about Key Number highlighting. If you have all your Key Number Bibles open in parallel with a grammatically tagged Greek text, you can mouse over a word in the English to highlight the corresponding word in the Greek, or vice versa. If you mouse over a word in the Greek, the corresponding English word will be highlighted in each of the panes containing a Key Numbered English Bible.

Is that what you're after?

Dewayne, you're talking about Key Number highlighting. If you have all your Key Number Bibles open in parallel with a grammatically tagged Greek text, you can mouse over a word in the English to highlight the corresponding word in the Greek, or vice versa. If you mouse over a word in the Greek, the corresponding English word will be highlighted in each of the panes containing a Key Numbered English Bible.

Is that what you're after?

I am aware of this feature. And that is what I sort of had in mind already. But this pretty much limits the results to just one version.

I am looking for a way to link the search all window to the above mentioned window. Then all of the hits in the search all window will be the only verses showing. Then I can mouse over to see the underlying words.

There is no way to collate searches using different texts and display the verses of those texts in a single pane, sorry! You can have a single pane with all the verses, but they will display only in one version. You would have to put the others in parallel panes, but all will display key highlighting with the tagged Greek text.

To combine the verses of multiple search windows use the [CONTENTS windowname1] [CONTENTS windowname2] etc.

There is no way to collate searches using different texts and display the verses of those texts in a single pane, sorry! You can have a single pane with all the verses, but they will display only in one version. You would have to put the others in parallel panes, but all will display key highlighting with the tagged Greek text.

To combine the verses of multiple search windows use the [CONTENTS windowname1] <AND> [CONTENTS windowname2] etc.

Now we are getting somewhere. I created another workspace called strongs with 4 tabs, each with one of the four translations. When I open this from favorites, it automatically searches all four tabs for the word selected. I made a 5th tab that combines all of the results. However, this tab does not save the arguments, but instead also searches for the term selected. So I tried making another space for the 5th tab that just combines the first four tabs, but it won't let me add it as a favorite and when I open it, I only get the first scripture verse anyway. Any more suggestions.

I think we'll need to see screenshots to understand what you are trying to do.

I think we'll need to see screenshots to understand what you are trying to do.

Screenshots 1-4 are the first four tabs resulting after a search of Cephas invoked by selecting this workspace from the favorites icon.

Screenshot 5 is the combined window. But it is only showing the contents of the tab with the lowest hit count. The arguments in tab 5 have to be reentered each time the workspace is opened. But I think the history option will stay so I can just reselect it.

post-5893-1240804163_thumb.png

post-5893-1240804173_thumb.png

post-5893-1240804186_thumb.png

post-5893-1240804194_thumb.png

post-5893-1240804202_thumb.png

OK, this helps:

First, you can use [LINK windowname] to link tabs 2-4 to the first tab, so that you can update them all at once with a single new argument in tab 1.

Second, I was wrong. [CONTENTS windowname1] [CONTENTS windowname2] finds verses which are in common between the windows, so you need

[CONTENTS windowname1] [CONTENTS windowname2]

to get the sum total of all the verses

Third, the argument is being saved and recalled for me, not sure why not for you.

Fourth, you can use more parallel panes in that fifth tab, which you will need to see the results in Greek and in all the versions in one window.

I figured this one out last night. Using AND gives common hits, using OR gives combined hits and using NOT gives single hits.

I am selecting a word in my original workspace and calling this workspace in question up from the favorites icon in the toolbar. This forces the workspace to look up the word in each window tab. Is this what you did? BTW, do you ever sleep? I am amazed at how fast you are answering my posts, even in the middle of the night. Thank You!

I am currently 7 hours ahead of EST, that's why I answer while you sleep, but notice that your afternoon/evening I am sleeping tight.

If you amplify to a favorite workspace you replace the search argument in each tab with your selection, that's why it is not recalling the argument of your last tab.

I am currently 7 hours ahead of EST, that's why I answer while you sleep, but notice that your afternoon/evening I am sleeping tight.

If you amplify to a favorite workspace you replace the search argument in each tab with your selection, that's why it is not recalling the argument of your last tab.

That's what I thought. But now I know enough to do just about anything I want with the results. Thanks.

Archived