Dark Mode Please

Jovan Avalos

Hi,

I'm a new user of Accordance and was wondering if there was a version of Accordance that I could use that allowed "dark mode" features on a PC (windows 10). I was very surprised that Accordance doesn't support this feature and find that I've been severely limited in my ability to use the program because of it. I would be happy to use a buggy beta version of the program if it meant that it had dark mode features. If this is a possibly could someone please let me know? The ability to use the program with dark mode features is becoming a deal breaker for me : (

I was able to change the tools to display a black background and white text but when I "enter reading mode" the background goes back to a light color and is simply to harsh on my eyes. I spoke with Ricardo, from accordance tech support, who said this issue may be a bug. Unfortunately, this doesn't change my user experience at the moment.

Any suggestions are welcome and I thank you for any help!

-Jovan

• Like 1

Hi Jovan,

I too am a Windows 10 user and was also disappointed to discover no dark mode. However Accordance is highly customizable so you can get close to a dark mode. I change the background to dark with light text in both the text display and tool display menus. I also turn off the tool bar so there's less white area.

Entering the reading mode retains the same dark backgrounds for me. Try checking the Reading/Research menu and make sure the 'Use readability theme" is not checked. I tried checking that, and after checking that box I also lost the dark background in reading mode.

text1.jpg

Reading.jpg

• Like 1

Hey @Jovan Avalos, glad you've chosen Accordance Bible and welcome to the Forums! As you surmised, it appears Dark Mode support has not yet reached Windows users. But, I do have a couple of suggestions for you!

#1 - Use the built-in Magnifier App (thanks to @TYA here)

• Go to Start, type Magnifier, click on the "Magnifier App" result, click on Settings (gear icon), click "Go to Settings
  • Turn On the app if it isn't already and scroll down to where it says Invert Colors, and check the box
  • Close the Settings window, minimize the Magnifier App, and open Accordance. Voila!

#2 - Use the High-Contrast option

• Go to Start, type high contrast, click on the result that says "Turn high contrast on or off"
  • Flip the switch to turn it on, then under "Theme", select High Contrast Black, then close the Settings window and open Accordance. Voila!

Neither option is perfect as it also negatively (no pun intended ;) ) affects the colors in videos and photos...which you probably don't want to see inverted. But, it's definitely easy to apply when you need it and turn off when you don't.

Screen Shot.png

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi there, I wonder if there's any update on this (dark mode support [or follow system's mode] on Windows)?

Right now, switching to Accordance window at night, would be like the light of the cross suddenly shining bright at me...

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

I, too, am disappointed/frustrated that Accordance is apparently reluctant to fulfill its promise of dark mode.  This is not a matter of style; it is a matter of eyestrain.  I do not have the ability to look at solid white screens for long periods.  My Windows 11 is in Dark Mode, so coming to Accordance is like trying to study with a bright light shining in my face.  Ben Tovar's response is appreciated, but not practical for jumping back and forth between screens/windows--it becomes incredibly annoying. With the promise made some time ago, now, it will be appreciated to have this available. Whitelioncub's solution (above) is also appreciated, but only spotty.  Besides, when I tried to change a couple of settings, I got a "permission denied" msg and the program crashed (see attached). Please make Dark Mode available as promised a long time ago. 

Accordance_2021_12_24 10_39_47.txt

• Like 2

It's not that we're reluctant. It just proved to be a greater programming challenge in Windows than we initially anticipated. It will happen eventually, though.

• Like 3

I wish I had a good answer for you. I've just asked our developers for a more detailed explanation of what the challenges are, and when they think dark mode might be ready for Windows. We probably won't have an answer till next week, but I'll post the info here as soon as we have something substantial to share. 

• Like 3

Since Dark Mode for Windows "coming soon" was announced with the release of V. 13 over 2 years ago (which was the main reason I upgraded from V. 12) I would be very disappointed if it now came eventually only with V. 14 for those who upgrade. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Crickets....any update?

As for Ben Tovar's suggestions... The Magnifier is terribly aggravating to use. If I had to use that, I wouldn't use Accordance at all.

Changing the High Contrast option doesn't affect most of the Accordance UI, including where we need it the most - inside the text panes.

• 10 months later...

What's the latest update on dark mode for Windows 10? I have Accordance v. 14 and do not see a dark mode option. As someone else mentioned, this is about relieving eye strain, not about the app's appearance.

Accordance 14 on windows supports dark mode. I added it to the toolbar to enable toggling irrespective of time of day. 

Ok, I found it. What I was missing was that dark mode for apps must be enabled in Windows 10 settings.